[SOLVED] My gpu is underperforming

Jan 5, 2022
Hello friends, happy new year to all. So my issue started a long ago, i have a laptop (asus strix scar2 with a 1060 and i7-8750H) back then when i was playing after serveral hours of gaming (mostly just cs:go and gta5), the fps dropped to like 20 for about 5sec and then they would go back to 100+fps like i used to play, but once it started stuttering it would not stop, it was like every single minute the fps would drop to 20 and then go back to normal. Somedays were worse then others (like 1full min 20fps and maybe 20sec of decent fps). Now the problem is even worse because i cant play nothing, every single game is with 10-20fps making it impossible to play. Ive tried to reboot the windows from factory, cleaned all the dust in the fans, and tried to unistall drivers and installing again. Nothing works. Pls help me im at the edge of sending my laptop flying out the window.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd first start by checking to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Once known to be on the latest BIOS version, turn your attention to the OS. If you're on Windows 10, you should ideally be on 21H2 for your OS, if not, update to the latest. While in the OS, I'd try and see what your idle resource usage is(just after booting into OS GUI). If your usages are not high when at idle, then download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, use DDU in Safe Mode and remove all drivers for your GPU, then manually reinstall prior sourced GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

See if that helps your frames to get back up.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd first start by checking to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Once known to be on the latest BIOS version, turn your attention to the OS. If you're on Windows 10, you should ideally be on 21H2 for your OS, if not, update to the latest. While in the OS, I'd try and see what your idle resource usage is(just after booting into OS GUI). If your usages are not high when at idle, then download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, use DDU in Safe Mode and remove all drivers for your GPU, then manually reinstall prior sourced GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

See if that helps your frames to get back up.

Reactions: kan0as
Solution