Question my gpu temp rises in sec

Jul 10, 2021
hi my gpu temp rises from 40to 85c in max 10 sec when using furmark i check thermal paste and its fresh i check heat sink it was cold but chip Some warm . ur think its problem from heat sink(or heat pipe) or chip have problem?maybe temp sensor my gpu is r9 280x sapphir 3gb

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Based on my experience with an r9 380, heavy stress tests tend to make these older cards heat up a lot. The only way i was able to tame the temps was by undervolting.

But of course theres no harm checking the basics. You say that the heat sink is cold but temps are high? assuming you replaced the thermal paste, did you tighten the screws properly? If that's the case it might be the software not reporting temps properly, what software do you use to check temps?

85c for a GPU being hammered with a load it will never see in normal use is not bad at all, especially for an older card like a 280x which was hot to begin with. I'm not a fan of hammering on older GPUs with Furmark myself...unless you want to kill the card. A better way to test a cards thermals is to loop an actual game benchmark and monitor temps IMHO but I'm sure others feel differently.

Jul 10, 2021
Based on my experience with an r9 380, heavy stress tests tend to make these older cards heat up a lot. The only way i was able to tame the temps was by undervolting.

But of course theres no harm checking the basics. You say that the heat sink is cold but temps are high? assuming you replaced the thermal paste, did you tighten the screws properly? If that's the case it might be the software not reporting temps properly, what software do you use to check temps?
It has two screws
I had seen the sides of the chip on the capacitor or the exact resistance, I do not know, the dough was spilled, can it cause a problem?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021
85c for a GPU being hammered with a load it will never see in normal use is not bad at all, especially for an older card like a 280x which was hot to begin with. I'm not a fan of hammering on older GPUs with Furmark myself...unless you want to kill the card. A better way to test a cards thermals is to loop an actual game benchmark and monitor temps IMHO but I'm sure others feel differently.
first i test in dota 2 , after 10-15 sec in dota menu temp rises 80c-85c its not normall
i use gpu-z

Reactions: m3tHf4c3

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
2xx and 3xx serie cards are known for running in the 80s. It's completely normal. I have a 290x in my backup rip and it reached 85 degrees unless undervolted. You should try to undervolt as it's very easy using the adrenalin software.

EDIT that's WAY too much paste. It's pretty much smeared all over. Too much is just as bad as too little.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I don’t mean to start an argument but i tend to disagree when someone says “too much thermal paste”. Any excess would just be squeezed out. The worst that would happen is you make a mess and waste thermal paste

the real danger with a bare die such as a gpu is too little. If any part of the die is not covered with thermal paste or is not making good contact there may be hot spots which will not get properly cooled.

OP, If what you say regarding the screws is accurate, then the screws are the solution to your problem. The gpu will not make good contact with the cooler with only two out of the four screws.

beware that the screws of the cooler arent regular screws, they are spring loaded.

I don’t mean to start an argument but i tend to disagree when someone says “too much thermal paste”. Any excess would just be squeezed out. The worst that would happen is you make a mess and waste thermal paste

the real danger with a bare die such as a gpu is too little. If any part of the die is not covered with thermal paste or is not making good contact there may be hot spots which will not get properly cooled.

OP, If what you say regarding the screws is accurate, then the screws are the solution to your problem. The gpu will not make good contact with the cooler with only two out of the four screws.

beware that the screws of the cooler arent regular screws, they are spring loaded.
I agree the only danger of too much thermal paste is if it gets on other parts of the card/motherboard. There are plenty of tests online with pc sites test show pea size, x across,too much, doesn't really matter for cooling effiency as long as there is thermal paste covering the heat generating zones. So I don't think anyone has asked what is the temps during regular use?

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
To give a better explanation for op and to make sure we are on the same page:
72324-BF1-A952-4-CD5-B124-07-CB4-CE7-FF81.jpg

circled in red are the screws i am talking about. From what i understand from your post only two out of those four screws are installed. You must make sure those screws are complete. That is the cause of your overheating.

i assume the “black thing” op is talking about are the ram chips, ive drawn yellow marks on those. They use thermal pads, not glue. I recommend replacing them with any thermal pad with the same thickness.

forgive the sloppy editing of the photo, i did this on my phone.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch

circled in red are the screws i am talking about. From what i understand from your post only two out of those four screws are installed. You must make sure those screws are complete. That is the cause of your overheating.

i assume the “black thing” op is talking about are the ram chips, ive drawn yellow marks on those. They use thermal pads, not glue. I recommend replacing them with any thermal pad with the same thickness.

I was going to mention thermal pads, I am sure they are very tired by now.

Reactions: Jmi20

That depends entirely on the thermal paste in question...some of it is conductive and some GPU dies have electrical components mounted in close proximity to the die which is a bad combination for GPU life.

Jul 10, 2021
2xx and 3xx serie cards are known for running in the 80s. It's completely normal. I have a 290x in my backup rip and it reached 85 degrees unless undervolted. You should try to undervolt as it's very easy using the adrenalin software.

EDIT that's WAY too much paste. It's pretty much smeared all over. Too much is just as bad as too little.
temp +40c rises after 10sec in game or furmark! not normall

Jul 10, 2021
I agree the only danger of too much thermal paste is if it gets on other parts of the card/motherboard. There are plenty of tests online with pc sites test show pea size, x across,too much, doesn't really matter for cooling effiency as long as there is thermal paste covering the heat generating zones. So I don't think anyone has asked what is the temps during regular use?
before installing drivers 55-60C after that 45C without using just run windows programs

Jul 10, 2021

yeah its have 2 screws behind red circles
about yellow : idont know maybe its thermal pads, When buying screws, I tell him check
no problem its so good :D <3