Question My GPU won't be detected by my motherboard's PCIE slot, but can be detected by M.2 to PCIE riser

Apr 8, 2023
When i try to boot with the GPU (RX 6400) connected to the PCIE slot of my motherboard (ASROCK A520M-HVS), there is no display at all (monitor cables are connected to the GPU).I already tried reseating it many times and it still doesn't work. I thought that the PCIE slot is broken, so I sent it to the official service center, they gave me a new unit and already tested it, and gave me the video of it working. When I tried again, there is still no display. However, when I use the M.2 slot and use M.2 to PCIE and connect my GPU through there, the display works just fine. Is there a problem with my GPU? How do I fix this?

Sounds like a motherboard problem to me. Is this a new build or was it working before and now it isn't?

Did any graphics card EVER work in the PCIe slot on that board? Have you tried a different graphics card? Have you tried the graphics card in another board?

What are your FULL hardware specifications including EXACT power supply model?

Apr 8, 2023
Full Specs :
Motherboard : Asrock A520M-HVS
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5500
GPU : AMD RX 6400
PSU : United Power 500W 80+ 230V EU White Certified

I built this PC around 2-3 months ago, everything worked just fine including the GPU. But one day the GPU does not output any display all of a sudden, I tried reseating and it still doesn't work. I tried to use M.2 to PCIE connector that I had and tried connecting the GPU there and it worked just fine. So, I concluded that the PCIE slot might have some issues.

I sent the Motherboard to the official service center to claim a warranty, then they decided to give me a new unit, they also tested it and sent me the video of it working (so I think the motherboard is working fine because they tested it with other graphics cards). However, when I tried it again myself, the same issue persist, there is no display when the GPU is connected to the PCIE slot, but it works when I use M2 to PCIE adapter

I currently do not have a way to test the graphics card on another motherboard as I do not have one and I can't seem to have enough money to be able to buy it currently. However, the graphics card works fine with the adapter (so I don't think there is an issue with the graphics card too?)

What else could be causing the issue?

Get a real power supply. What you have is a "PSU shaped object". That's a dumpster fire waiting to happen, and it will, given enough time. I understand that money is a problem right now but that does not change the fact that you have a piece of crap power supply and that piece of crap power supplies are generally the problem in about 90% of cases like yours. In any case, there is no way to even begin trying to determine what else might be at fault until you have a power supply that is trustworthy because it is of AT LEAST acceptable quality (And preferably of decent to good quality).

What you have isn't. Even the specifications decal on that unit says "this is a POS" since it has only 35 amps on the +12v rail making it actually only a 420w unit despite being advertised as a 500w model, and almost unilaterally across the industry, power supplies that are advertised to be a certain capacity but based on the specifications decal are significantly below the advertised capacity are generally very terrible quality regardless of whether in the end the actual listed capacity would still put it above the recommendation for the graphics card in use. The bottom line here is that the most important component in your system is the one you spend the least amount of money on and now you are seeing what happens when you do that.

I realize also that you might be in a region where good power supplies are hard to come by but I'll tell you the same thing I tell everybody else, that does not matter. Your hardware does not CARE where you live or whether you have money or not. It still requires the same things to work properly as it does in any other region and for any other person. When your hardware does not have clean, stable power in sufficient quantity, it doesn't work. Period.

So if I were you I'd figure out a way to get a GOOD, or at least halfway decent power supply, unlike what you have now.

These will help you to avoid getting another piece of garbage.