my graphic card is under clocking its self please help

CosmicChocolate

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
so i have a 960m and in every game its under clocks its self. normally it would be running at MHz during the load up of the game then it would drop to like 450 MHz and i get like 25 fps on all games low settings it hits like 70c to 80c but there should not be a huge drop in performance if it is thermal throttling but this is like a 600 MHz drop so it should be going this low. i am running a rain meter if that could cause issues plus this brand of computer made it to where you have to be plugged for it to use the GPU. but when im plugged in and go in to adobe illustrator or premiere pro it say that i dont have a GPU under the GPU boost tab so is there a problem with my GPU.

specs
CPU- i7 6700hq
ram- 16 gb ddr4
GPU- 960 2gb
ssd- pny 480gb
monitor is 1080p

btw when im playing a game when im plugged and then i unplug it there is drop because the GPU turns off and the cpus ig turns on and the game is really laggy so the GPU might not be broken to where its not working it just might not be working right. please help

and yes i have reinstalled the latest drivers and nothing driver version is 376.33

also then mem clock stays the same of 2500
i have over clocked the gpu before and got it to a steady 1330mhz on the GPU clock and 3500 on the mem clock so it is very possible that that is the issue

popatim

Titan
It is common for laptops to either reduce the speed and gpu cores available when running on battery or not allow the gpu to run at all. This is often a hardware design and cannot be changed by the user sadly.

Which exact laptop do you have?
In the mean time, plug it in.

CosmicChocolate

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

thats just it when im having the issue its plugged in its and asus rog zx50vw-ms71
it was playing games at 60 fps plugged in and 30 unplugged when plugged in and in a game the gpu goes to 99% load and lowers the 1280mhz ish clock to 400mhz

TRENDING THREADS