[SOLVED] My graphic card smd capacitor burned out what should i do

Sep 15, 2020
I have a gtx 760 which one of the smd capacitor burned but the card is giving me the display ( haven't done any heavy work or benchmark)

5kS9ZSn

After i have visited the local repair shop and he wildly teared the burned capacitor and told me not to worry about

https://ibb.co/2Y0R4QN

And now i m here asking should i worry about replacing it or game

Last edited:
Solution
As far as I know you should be able to keep using the card even with a missing capacitor. In the worst case the cards stops working. Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong. But I know of cases where people accidentally broke of capacitors of their CPU when delidding and they were still working. I also remember Steve from GamersNexus once mentioned in a video that a broken capacitor is not necessarily the end of the product.

So, my "small" electronic understanding tells me that your GPU should still work but you probably lost overclocking potential with this card. The capacitors are mostly used for signal smoothing and you usually have more than one. So as long as the card still runs you should be fine.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
As far as I know you should be able to keep using the card even with a missing capacitor. In the worst case the cards stops working. Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong. But I know of cases where people accidentally broke of capacitors of their CPU when delidding and they were still working. I also remember Steve from GamersNexus once mentioned in a video that a broken capacitor is not necessarily the end of the product.

So, my "small" electronic understanding tells me that your GPU should still work but you probably lost overclocking potential with this card. The capacitors are mostly used for signal smoothing and you usually have more than one. So as long as the card still runs you should be fine.

Last edited:
Solution
As mentioned it should be able to work. And if it doesn't, well, you'll know.

Before he ripped it off, and one of the pads with it, it would be rather easy to replace with a working one that with the correct specs. But now it's more complicated with scraping and bodgewires.