Question My graphics card has full usage but low mhz

Feb 17, 2020
GPU:EVGA 760 SC
CPU:i5 4570
RAM: 8gb
so my graphics card used to work really well with game like csgo having about 250-300 frames but all of a sudden about 3 months ago ive been getting 60 -80 frames. ive been looking as to what the solution is but cant find anything. Ive figured ouy with msi afterburner that my gpu usage is 99% but mhz is locked at 405 not moving and tempreture always at 43 degrees
if anyone could offer help that would be greatly appreciated

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
I don't remember how's Nvidia software, but I was playing with Radeon software yesterday and turned on the instant replay option, the GPU keeps encoding all the output its generating.
Go to the Task Manager → performance → GPU than looking what kind of processing is your GPU doing. Btw, there's a drop down option in the elements that you can choose to see the others that aren't showing up

Feb 17, 2020
I don't remember how's Nvidia software, but I was playing with Radeon software yesterday and turned on the instant replay option, the GPU keeps encoding all the output its generating.
Go to the Task Manager → performance → GPU than looking what kind of processing is your GPU doing. Btw, there's a drop down option in the elements that you can choose to see the others that aren't showing up
not quite sure what you mean

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
no its only being used around 5% but when i watch a video its used around 50%
By any chance, does your card have a dual bios option and you changed it?
Or underclocked / set a lower power limit it by accident?
I'd try what @tennis2 said, and try exclude msi afterburner or any other program that can control your GPU, including leftovers from Nvidia driver, you can search about it, I never needed to do that.

Feb 17, 2020
By any chance, does your card have a dual bios option and you changed it?
Or underclocked / set a lower power limit it by accident?
I'd try what @tennis2 said, and try exclude msi afterburner or any other program that can control your GPU, including leftovers from Nvidia driver, you can search about it, I never needed to do that.
yes i looked it up and it does have a double bios option but i dont know how to change it

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
yes i looked it up and it does have a double bios option but i dont know how to change it
If you haven't change, probably isn't the problem then.
Turn your computer off, there's a tiny (like 3 mm long) switch, normally just above the power connector.
But before change it, I just had an idea, download GPU-Z (not to be confused with CPU-Z), run it and see for GPU clock and default clock just bellow the former. If you haven't underclocked you card, both values should be the same, 1072 Mhz, your card's default clock, according to EVGA's website.
Tell me what do you see.

Feb 17, 2020
If you haven't change, probably isn't the problem then.
Turn your computer off, there's a tiny (like 3 mm long) switch, normally just above the power connector.
But before change it, I just had an idea, download GPU-Z (not to be confused with CPU-Z), run it and see for GPU clock and default clock just bellow the former. If you haven't underclocked you card, both values should be the same, 1072 Mhz, your card's default clock, according to EVGA's website.
Tell me what do you see.
My GPU clock is 350/ default clock 350/ memory 667 mhz/ and boost 1150 mhz/

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
My GPU clock is 350/ default clock 350/ memory 667 mhz/ and boost 1150 mhz/
I thought those values would be 405 MHz, anyway, I just google, the default clocks should be those of the image (and without OC both rows should look the same). Take a look if the BIOS version are the same (they should not), if they are different, turn your computer off and switch the BIOS, you might accidentally changed it if you cleaned your card with a rag.
However, if they're are the same, I'd search more, or just flash the correct BIOS in the one that you're using now.
Btw, I never had anything like that, I'm just helping you to pinpoint the problem.

gpuz_oc.gif

Feb 17, 2020
I thought those values would be 405 MHz, anyway, I just google, the default clocks should be those of the image (and without OC both rows should look the same). Take a look if the BIOS version are the same (they should not), if they are different, turn your computer off and switch the BIOS, you might accidentally changed it if you cleaned your card with a rag.
However, if they're are the same, I'd search more, or just flash the correct BIOS in the one that you're using now.
Btw, I never had anything like that, I'm just helping you to pinpoint the problem.

gpuz_oc.gif
sorry i was looking at my intergrated graphics
my gpu clock is 1072 mhz/ default clock 1072/ memory 1502 mhz/ boost 1137/ which is weird because its still performing bad

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
i got evga precision and its not showing the voltage
the power limit is also at 568% so i think that might be the problem if you know how to fix
I didn't see that before. There's a thing for Nvidia cards, I think is the "Nvidia control panel", try set the 760 to be used all the time, do you think is possible that you're running the games with your iGPU? Probably the iGPU would be even weaker.
Normally power limits go +50% I believe, is weird that you can do in the EVGA program such high offset (but I never used that program).
Try exclude msi afterburner, the EVGA program, Nvidia drivers, and any other program that can control your GPU, and then reinstall the drivers, go to EVGA site to download, normally are older version, the newest one can be causing the problem.

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
sorry i was looking at my intergrated graphics
my gpu clock is 1072 mhz/ default clock 1072/ memory 1502 mhz/ boost 1137/ which is weird because its still performing bad
The values are right, no need to change this, I just told you that because I changed from my card to see the difference, the clocks were half of the normal. Seemed reasonable.

Feb 17, 2020
I didn't see that before. There's a thing for Nvidia cards, I think is the "Nvidia control panel", try set the 760 to be used all the time, do you think is possible that you're running the games with your iGPU? Probably the iGPU would be even weaker.
Normally power limits go +50% I believe, is weird that you can do in the EVGA program such high offset (but I never used that program).
Try exclude msi afterburner, the EVGA program, Nvidia drivers, and any other program that can control your GPU, and then reinstall the drivers, go to EVGA site to download, normally are older version, the newest one can be causing the problem.
how old do you think the drivers should be that i get

^ This is what I originally said. If your problem started 3 months ago, go back to a driver that's OLDER than the problem.

Also, yes, don't be running MSI Afterburner or other tweaking software while you're troubleshooting. Auto/stock settings is the only settings that is "guaranteed" to work properly.

Feb 17, 2020
^ This is what I originally said. If your problem started 3 months ago, go back to a driver that's OLDER than the problem.

Also, yes, don't be running MSI Afterburner or other tweaking software while you're troubleshooting. Auto/stock settings is the only settings that is "guaranteed" to work properly.
oh sorry didnt see that, yes i will unistall

Feb 19, 2020
CSGO had an update a few months ago that TANKED FPS in all maps except office. Maps I used to pull 500+ FPS on barely run at 200 now, and the game engine no longer pulls the new GPU's out of "desktop" sleep mode, and forcing Pstate 0 does nothing. In fact since the update, CSGO is now capable of removing my BCLK OC in the BIOS when I start the game, and it also applies a nice little +15MHz to the GPU core somehow. Steam support did not care. Your PC is not the issue, and I recommend you should try a better game ;) But for real, try running a different game (Except SMITE, and other poorly optimized games), and it'll probably run like you expect. If not, definitely troubleshoot hardware.

Feb 17, 2020
CSGO had an update a few months ago that TANKED FPS in all maps except office. Maps I used to pull 500+ FPS on barely run at 200 now, and the game engine no longer pulls the new GPU's out of "desktop" sleep mode, and forcing Pstate 0 does nothing. In fact since the update, CSGO is now capable of removing my BCLK OC in the BIOS when I start the game, and it also applies a nice little +15MHz to the GPU core somehow. Steam support did not care. Your PC is not the issue, and I recommend you should try a better game ;) But for real, try running a different game (Except SMITE, and other poorly optimized games), and it'll probably run like you expect. If not, definitely troubleshoot hardware.
ive tried others games like six siege and rocket league and still bad performance

TRENDING THREADS