Question My graphics card won't show any display

Jun 13, 2019
Ok so I have an old computer I use only for coding. It's amd a4-6320(really old but I have a way better pc than this ) I was going to use on board graphics to have 2 monitors and I turned it on from the bios. I then was dumb and changed the uma buffer size to 2gb and when I restarted by pc my graphics card stopped working. It's a r7 260x. My graphics card turns on and off and keeps going. I know this because the fan stop and then start again. I can't try the gpu on my system because it's not compatible with my mobo. I just want a way to fix it because I use this pc for coding and for videos. My motherboard is a GA-F2A78M-HD2. I tried resetting the mobo, removing the graphics card to only use the on board graphics but it only shows no display.

Jun 13, 2019
Clear the CMOS.

Also, you're saying that R7 260x isn't compatible with your better PC's MoBo. From where this understanding of yours comes from?
How do I clean the cmos? And I know it is not compatible because I searched for the compatible motherboards for the r7 260x and mine didn't show up and when I add it to my pc it doesn't show any display. But when I added it to my good pc graphics card looked like it work because it was turning off and on like on the other one.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Just because GPU fan turns on/off doesn't say the GPU works. What it says is that the GPU fan works, nothing more.

Also, you can plug your R7 260X into every MoBo that has PCI-E x16 slot. Your better PC does have PCI-E x16 slot, right?
Btw, the "GPU compatibility list" only shows those MoBos that the GPU brand did test before launching that GPU. It is in no way the concrete evidence that R7 260X doesn't work on any other MoBo outside of that list. But enough of that, your R7 260X isn't the issue.

What is the issue, are either of these three: APU, MoBo or RAM. My best guess would be APU since once you allocated 2GB of RAM for APU's on-board graphics, your PC died. It is possible that the on-board graphics inside APU died and also damaged the CPU part of the APU, hence why there's no image when you try running with your PC without R7 260X in it. Dead APU also explains why you don't get any image with R7 260X in it, since dedicated GPU in the system disables APU's on-board graphics.

Here, you'd need another FM2+ socket CPU to test if the issue is with your APU. Unless you'd get another working FM2+ CPU/APU dirt cheap, i'd cut my losses and go with new CPU-MoBo-RAM combo.

Reactions: Ddiaz131
Jun 13, 2019
Just because GPU fan turns on/off doesn't say the GPU works. What it says is that the GPU fan works, nothing more.

Also, you can plug your R7 260X into every MoBo that has PCI-E x16 slot. Your better PC does have PCI-E x16 slot, right?
Btw, the "GPU compatibility list" only shows those MoBos that the GPU brand did test before launching that GPU. It is in no way the concrete evidence that R7 260X doesn't work on any other MoBo outside of that list. But enough of that, your R7 260X isn't the issue.

What is the issue, are either of these three: APU, MoBo or RAM. My best guess would be APU since once you allocated 2GB of RAM for APU's on-board graphics, your PC died. It is possible that the on-board graphics inside APU died and also damaged the CPU part of the APU, hence why there's no image when you try running with your PC without R7 260X in it. Dead APU also explains why you don't get any image with R7 260X in it, since dedicated GPU in the system disables APU's on-board graphics.

Here, you'd need another FM2+ socket CPU to test if the issue is with your APU. Unless you'd get another working FM2+ CPU/APU dirt cheap, i'd cut my losses and go with new CPU-MoBo-RAM combo.
Yeah. I'm just gonna stay with my good pc and get another am4 pc. I only had this one because I got it for €90. Thanks for the help tho