Question My GT 1030 with a DVI D port won't output 120hz to my monitor that also supports 144hz

Aug 28, 2022
Likely the DVI port is only single link or the cable you are using is single link. What's the make and model of the 1030?
I'm using a dual link DVI cable, I bought it specifically for 120hz and my GPU is the EVGA GT 1030 SC 2gb which I bought from Amazon. Im pretty sure the DVI port on the GPU and the DVI port on the monitor are also both dual link

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What do you mean by "tried everything"?

Did you go into advanced options under graphics and manually select a mode? W10 and W11 have a specific spot where you can select the modes supported by your hardware. In my own case, the PC that connects in the living room will default to 4K/30 and nothing I can do outside advanced menu or on the TV itself will change said.

Give us the PC specs and model number of the TV and the helpful folks around here might be able to come up with an answer.

Aug 28, 2022
I have an Asus vg248qe that only supports 144hz for displayport. My graphics card only has HDMI and DVI, does this mean that if I buy a HDMI to Displayport cable, would I be able to attain 144hz?

Use dual link DVI cable.
Only DVI and DP on monitor support 144Hz mode.

HDMI to DP adapter will limit available refresh rates.

71fkKD-DvLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Aug 28, 2022

DSzymborski

Titan
Yup, the spec for the GT 1030 is single-link DVI only. Yes, the physical ports on the GT 1030 look like dual-link DVI, but it was common practice to simply put a physical dual-link port into everything to make the manufacturing process more efficient. Plus, users can use either single or dual link cable as a single link cable by doing it this way.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dvi-i is :::: ::: :-:
Dvi-d is :::: ::: -
Dvi-d dual is :::::::: -

That's the difference. Both the digital dvi use the exact same connector, for cost considerations, but dvi-d only uses certain pins, not all of them. Dvi-d dual uses all the pins. If you opened up the gpu and looked at the back of its connector, you'd see only half the holes filled with wires.

A dvi-d dual cable will even fit in dvi-i, you just won't get any analog signals as those come from the 4x pins surrounding the blade.

You aren't restricted from getting 120Hz by the monitor, the cable or your settings, you are restricted by a GT1030 that only outputs dvi-d single, not dvi-d dual.