My GTX 1070ti's symptoms just want to confirm if I did the right thing

Sep 27, 2018
Hi fellow tech junkies!

I am just here to confirm if I did the right thing to my GPU.

So I just got my GTX 1070TI from Gigabyte last June. For the past few weeks I experienced Black screen of death but that did not happen while gaming but just as soon I logged in to windows. Restarting my pc only brought me to a consistent black screen but I notice my screen's backlight it on no POST display nor even windows logo but all of my peripherals lights up (Keyboard, Mouse, Mic, Webcam etc) and because of this I just left it for a few minutes and I heard the windows splash screen sound running from my speakers. Now this made me think that all of my components is working properly except from my gpu. Now after I heard the windows sound it came right through my mind that I have set up google remote desktop. I fetched my phone and accessed the remote app and to my surprise it got me to my login screen! The catch though is the resolution is set to 800x600 i think. So i just ignored that and logged in to my computer from my remote access app. It got me in with no issues whatsoever. Did some research tried DDU to remove the driver and restarted my computer but the black screen persists! I rushed in to get my old gpu GT 630 1 GB plugged it in and it got me to POST screen, Windows logo up to login screen. Installed the driver for this old guy, restarted and no problems at all. So I snugged my 1070ti back and it got me a display with no problem. I installed the latest driver for 1070ti but right as it got installed it brought me to the same blue checkerboards again. Went to safe mode to use DDU again then installed the version prior to latest. No artifacts/checkerboard until I boot up my game (Rainbow Six Siege). Restarted my pc again to install an older driver and no problems by then. Few days after, the problem came back only this time not red horizontal lines appeared, freezes then restarts to nothing but a black screen with backlights on. Doing the troubleshooting steps again did not work. I don't have another system to test out my gpu or another psu to check if that is what's causing the issue. There was no choice but to bring the card back to where I bought it. They have a pc there and tried the GPU. There was no problem until the tech installed the drivers. It shows the checkerboard artifact then went to bluescreen with an error referring to Video Scheduler Internal and it was just restarting doing the same thing.

TL;DR

I returned the GPU to Gigabyte for RMA and I just want to know if I did the right thing and if that is indeed a problem with the 1070ti and not my psu considering that the GPU i used for trial and error is an older model which requires little power consumption to run. The GPU is only 4 months old and I'm just upset that I'll be getting a refurbished replacement if the replacement ever gets approved because they notice the corrosion on the PCIe of the card but my older card has more corrosion than my current one which does not make any sense that I am at fault.

Solution
If it had an issue at the place you bought it when they tested it,I would say you did the right thing.

Your PSU probably isn't the problem, but spending 50-75 dollars on a new PSU isn't the worst idea ever, especially since your build has hundreds of dollars worth of parts in it.
If it had an issue at the place you bought it when they tested it,I would say you did the right thing.

Your PSU probably isn't the problem, but spending 50-75 dollars on a new PSU isn't the worst idea ever, especially since your build has hundreds of dollars worth of parts in it.

Solution
Sep 27, 2018
Thank you so much for your quick response @R4DIO4CT1VE. I am really considering buying a new PSU but since my pc is only 5 years old and it has an 800 watt psu, I am really concerned that the problem with gpus on my system will come back because of a different culprit. If you want to know, my system is an Alienware Aurora R4 that has the same components except for the ram I upgraded from 8 gb to 12 gb and the gpu. It had first an OEM GTX 760 then it gave up on me for 3 years then that was the time I got a 2nd hand GTX 970 that lasted for 1 year and 10 months and now the 1070ti. I'm thinking that the problem is with the alienware's chasis. If you will search an image for this pre build pc, you will see that it has no intake fans and it only has exhaust panels and after I use my pc and open its side panel you can use it as a heater lol. So what I might do if ever my card gets replaced and really hoping for it, I'll just remove the side panel and direct a fan to it to keep it cool somehow. The gpu that came with this system has a blow type fan and the cards I purchased to upgrade has fual fan which is why the heat just builds up inside my case.

with pre builds they dont update there bios as fast as mb vendor does and it may be a bios bug. with the issue above if it was a bios bug or setting what happened was the mb failed over to the onboard video chipset at post that why you could log in and got the windows start up sound. with newer intel cpu that have ipgpu you cant set the video display to auto or the onboard chipset will be the first output. you need to set it to peg/pci.

will a quick search i see that your case might have space in the front for an intake fan, i would look into that.

Also, its always a good idea to monitor your temps.

Sep 27, 2018

I do check my temps regularly. I do see the front can have space for cooling fan but not really because there are bays where you can add more ports aside from the dvd rom and card readers that came with my Alienware Aurora R4. I did see an article where the guy modded the front panel to add the cooling fan but it just takes a lot of work