My hard drive crashed. I Replaced it but dont have a recovery disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc917

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I have a HP Pavilion, Hard drive crashed. I replaced this but dont know how to reload windows 7 because I dont have a bootable recovery disk. I have a product key from HP on computer back but cant figure out how to reload? Tried to follow instructions in a PC world article from 2/1/12 but hit a wall with the link to Microsoft to download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. Any ideas?

Solution
The reason the tool is not working is because you do not have Windows already installed on the HDD. What happens these days when you buy a pre-built pc/laptop is that your operating system is pre-loaded and one of the first tasks to do is create a backup disk using the manufacturer's software.

The software creates a disk that will re-install Windows for you along with any other software (read bloatware) that the machine came with when you first bought it. If you didn't do that then you will need to do one of two things, the first would be to see if you can download an ISO of the recovery disk from HP or contact them to see if they can send you one. The other option is to buy a copy of Windows from Microsoft or other software retailer...
Well 1 Its an OEM key so download windows 7 from microsoft might not work. You want want to find a friend who has a OEM Windows 7 Install disk (Even a Dell Disk will work. I know I've tired) But most of these PC's these days have stuff built into the BIOS that will auto activate windows because it was purchased with that version of windows in it. Otherwise talk to HP support and see if they can send you a Recovery Disk

ste_wilko

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
The reason the tool is not working is because you do not have Windows already installed on the HDD. What happens these days when you buy a pre-built pc/laptop is that your operating system is pre-loaded and one of the first tasks to do is create a backup disk using the manufacturer's software.

The software creates a disk that will re-install Windows for you along with any other software (read bloatware) that the machine came with when you first bought it. If you didn't do that then you will need to do one of two things, the first would be to see if you can download an ISO of the recovery disk from HP or contact them to see if they can send you one. The other option is to buy a copy of Windows from Microsoft or other software retailer.

One thing to bear in mind is that the license key on the side of your machine is an OEM key and WILL NOT work with retail copies of Windows.

The recovery USB/DVD that you have downloaded is for repairing damaged installations, not creating a fresh install

Solution

ste_wilko

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014

Just had a quick look for the OP on HP's site and the recovery disk start at 40.08GBP and that's if they still have it in the inventory

brianhead

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
check craigslist for a dvd...then use your key, or update with your key...sad that there is none...hoping you have access to another computer...maybe someone here can mail you a copy of there windows 7...i can mail you win 7 tiny. i can mail you ultimate, but not genuine...

Download an iso of the windows 7 version that you have the key for ( Microsoft approved downloads can be found here : ( http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/ ) then use the USB tool to create a bootable USB install as directed ( Tutuorial on creating the USB can be found here : ( http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/ ) and then use it and the product key you have to reinstall

If for some reason the activation fails contact HP and they should provide you with a working activation key (will ask for the serial # and model of the system) As they are required to provide assistance since they sold you the original OEM version installed and can verify that the key you have was included when purchased. If they will not help contact Microsoft's activation line and explain to them and they will help you get it activated (since you have a legitimate license and are merely reinstalling)

Status
Not open for further replies.