[SOLVED] My Hard Drive Now Refuses To Accept Dropped Files On External Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

enochered

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
An external hard drive, which I have used extensively has suddenly refused to allow entry to files, when I was attempting to free up space on my macbook It shows a not allowed symbol when I try. I have not altered any setting as far as I know, but I am having the same problems with all my external hard drives but not with dongles.

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @enochered!

This sounds pretty unfortunate. However, I think that you might be dealing with a permissions issue on your Mac. I'd strongly recommend you go to Disk Utility and Test the external HDD for defects from there. When you got 'First Aid', you will see the option to 'Repair Disk Permissions'. Hopefully, that would resolve your issue.

EDIT: Have you had any recent updates on the Mac and have used this particular external drive on other operating systems (Windows OS)? If this is an NTFS-formatted drive and you use a third-party tools to read the files from it on the Mac, maybe you should check if you have updated the software as well.

Let me know how it goes. :)
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @enochered!

This sounds pretty unfortunate. However, I think that you might be dealing with a permissions issue on your Mac. I'd strongly recommend you go to Disk Utility and Test the external HDD for defects from there. When you got 'First Aid', you will see the option to 'Repair Disk Permissions'. Hopefully, that would resolve your issue.

EDIT: Have you had any recent updates on the Mac and have used this particular external drive on other operating systems (Windows OS)? If this is an NTFS-formatted drive and you use a third-party tools to read the files from it on the Mac, maybe you should check if you have updated the software as well.

Let me know how it goes. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.