Question My HDD health is 13%, had many bad sectors for years and still good

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
since 2 years or more it started with 5 bad sectors and 100 weak sectors, i fixed the weak sectors with HDD re generator . but as the days pass it came back again, bad sectors and weak sectors continue increasing and everytime i ask someone they tell me your HDD is dying, backup immediately. it have been more than 2 years now i have 146 bad sectors and 140 weak ones and my HDD still alive, fast and good.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
since 2 years or more it started with 5 bad sectors and 100 weak sectors, i fixed the weak sectors with HDD re generator . but as the days pass it came back again, bad sectors and weak sectors continue increasing and everytime i ask someone they tell me your HDD is dying, backup immediately. it have been more than 2 years now i have 146 bad sectors and 140 weak ones and my HDD still alive, fast and good.
And it might last 5 more years or 5 more minutes.
If you have anything on the drive you can't replace if you loose it then it should already be backed up.

Reactions: KyaraM

kanewolf

Titan
This is the equivalent of "I drive 90MPH without a seat belt, and I am still alive." Great for bragging, but I wouldn't bet on your longevity.

KyaraM

Admirable
This is the equivalent of "I drive 90MPH without a seat belt, and I am still alive." Great for bragging, but I wouldn't bet on your longevity.
Yeah, chance s are high that at one point something will happen, and then you fly through the windshield... or in this case, the drive finally bites it for good.

Just backup already and best, replace the drive. Both at the same time.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
i don't mean to brag, i just don't understand, like there is no rules when exactly or at least approximately your HDD going to die, on HD sentinel i get "condition is bad, 13% health, 140 bad sectors, 140 weak, HDD life time =5 days left"

there must be an algorithm or something you know from it when your HDD is going to die approximately, i mean there are thousands of sectors on an HDD, when 100 or 200 are bad, thats logically equals nothing

i used to have 150 weak sectors and my HDD was very slow, so i used HD Regenerator app to fix them, they became like 40 or 30, and my HDD returned fast again, that was one year ago.. now weak sectors became 140 but HDD is still fast..

i started to think that maybe bad sectors are overrated?, lots of HDDs live long with tens and hundreds of bad sectors.. maybe when a HDD fails, bad sectors usually are not even the reason.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
i don't mean to brag, i just don't understand, like there is no rules when exactly or at least approximately your HDD going to die, on HD sentinel i get "condition is bad, 13% health, 140 bad sectors, 140 weak, HDD life time =5 days left"

there must be an algorithm or something you know from it when your HDD is going to die approximately, i mean there are thousands of sectors on an HDD, when 100 or 200 are bad, thats logically equals nothing

i used to have 150 weak sectors and my HDD was very slow, so i used HD Regenerator app to fix them, they became like 40 or 30, and my HDD returned fast again, that was one year ago.. now weak sectors became 140 but HDD is still fast.
How important is your data? I would have copied all data off that disk a long time ago. It would have a hole drilled through it and be in the electronics recycling. My data is is important to me.
There is no "magic" formula. Some sector on that drive will fail and it will be unreadable or unbootable. What do you do then?

i used to have 150 weak sectors and my HDD was very slow, so i used HD Regenerator app to fix them, they became like 40 or 30, and my HDD returned fast again, that was one year ago.. now weak sectors became 140 but HDD is still fast..

i started to think that maybe bad sectors are overrated?, lots of HDDs live long with tens and hundreds of bad sectors.. maybe when a HDD fails, bad sectors usually are not even the reason.

Have seen a few bad drives in my time. As cheap as drives are these days, your safe bet is back up and toss the drive or only use for backups.

USAFRet

Titan

No, there is no magic formula for this.

My most recent dead drive went from 0 to 30 bad sectors (7 months), to 700 (2 days), to 14k+ (5 days)
It was 7 months old.
16TB Toshiba Enterprise.

A previous one (3TB WD) went from seemingly perfect to dead dead dead in about 36 hours. Dead of unknown causes.

In both cases, 100% of the data recovered from the backup.

Your drive could die as I'm writing this.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

My most recent dead drive went from 0 to 30 bad sectors (7 months), to 700 (2 days), to 14k+ (5 days)
It was 7 months old.
16TB Toshiba Enterprise.

A previous one (3TB WD) went from seemingly perfect to dead dead dead in about 36 hours. Dead of unknown causes.

It was 7 months old.
16TB Toshiba Enterprise.

then there is no real "danger sign" as long as its tens or hundreds of bad sectors?.. the moment it starts goes up to 1K+ then its dying for sure.

USAFRet

Titan
then there is no real "danger sign" as long as its tens or hundreds of bad sectors?.. the moment it starts goes up to 1K+ then its dying for sure.
Or there could be NO warning signs.

As noted, one of my dead drives went from seemingly perfect Friday night, to absolutely dead on Sunday morn.

Don't count on knowing the number of bad sectors to determine when it might die.

Be prepared for instant death in the next 0.25 sec.

Maintain good backups and run it.

If it decides to fail you have your data safe.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
Or there could be NO warning signs.

As noted, one of my dead drives went from seemingly perfect Friday night, to absolutely dead on Sunday morn.

Don't count on knowing the number of bad sectors to determine when it might die.

Be prepared for instant death in the next 0.25 sec.
be prepared of everything, death aint nothing but heartbeat away

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
like there is no rules when exactly or at least approximately your HDD going to die
Exactly. Nobody can predict a brain aneurysm, or heart attack, all they can ever do is mitigate the chances by living right. But you can be as healthy as a horse, fit as a bull, in perfect health, and be dead 10 minutes from now. Your HDD is dying a slow death, but could just as easily quit entirely 10 minutes from now if the boot sector gets corrupted by a bad sector. Your HDD has for ack of better explanation, Alzheimers, and one day will wake up and not even realize it's an HDD anymore.
there must be an algorithm or something you know from it when your HDD is going to die approximately,
Nope. See above.