My hdd is broken And I want to replace him

thibistin

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Hi everybody .

I have a laptop for 3 years, unfortunately my hdd 1 to is down, I can no longer use my pc, I installed windows just but my pc is too slow, I made crystaldisk it gives me Message of CAUTION, ok I understand that it is necessary to change my hdd but there are quite a few people who suggested to me this:
Buy a ssd 120 go (my budget is limited) and make this hdd 1to as external hard drive for stock movies, photos etc ... data.

I do not know if it's a good idea or not but my use of laptop is daily, for navigation, word , excel and just playing a game or two if I have a free time.

So is what i can make the hdd dead (i can not install on it windows) as an external hard drive?

waiting for your reply, thank you in advance.

Solution
if you can post the smart attributes from CrystalDisk, we can see just how bad the drive is.

I'm not sure if I completely understand your question. You can try to use the HDD as an external drive but given that it's already in bad shape, I wouldn't put anything on there that I would care about losing.

Using an SSD as your only drive in a laptop is perfectly fine and pretty common. The question more comes down to whether 120GB is going to be enough for you to use, which is hard for anyone else to say. It sounds like it should probably be fine though.

rkzhao

Respectable
Mar 8, 2016
if you can post the smart attributes from CrystalDisk, we can see just how bad the drive is.

I'm not sure if I completely understand your question. You can try to use the HDD as an external drive but given that it's already in bad shape, I wouldn't put anything on there that I would care about losing.

Using an SSD as your only drive in a laptop is perfectly fine and pretty common. The question more comes down to whether 120GB is going to be enough for you to use, which is hard for anyone else to say. It sounds like it should probably be fine though.

Solution