Question My HDD is not showing via USB or SATA ?

Jun 23, 2024
hi guys,
I really am stuck. I sold my old laptop but took HDD out to make it external storage. I plugged in to my new laptop and it showed up. i copied the docs and left the media there. Next time when i plugged it in, it won't show up. I don't understand why. i don't see any reason it can be damaged. It has Win 8.1 installed and i do remember it had some issues on my prev laptop when it won't boot in UEFI and changing to Legacy would make it boot but that's when it was being used as OS not externally. I tries many recovery softwares but it didn't show anywhere.
I have also tried to boot from it on my other old systems (using Win7) but no way. I don't have any system with Win8.1.
Any help would be great for a novice like me :(

hi guys,
I really am stuck. I sold my old laptop but took HDD out to make it external storage. I plugged in to my new laptop and it showed up. i copied the docs and left the media there. Next time when i plugged it in, it won't show up. I don't understand why. i don't see any reason it can be damaged. It has Win 8.1 installed and i do remember it had some issues on my prev laptop when it won't boot in UEFI and changing to Legacy would make it boot but that's when it was being used as OS not externally. I tries many recovery softwares but it didn't show anywhere.
I have also tried to boot from it on my other old systems (using Win7) but no way. I don't have any system with Win8.1.
Any help would be great for a novice like me :(
The 1st time you plugged the hdd into the pc via usb it worked and you copied files to it.

The 2nd time you plugged it in it does not show.

Do you have access to another hdd/ssd that you can connect to the adapter just to see if it shows?

Jun 23, 2024
right, i have tried all troubleshootings including the one yu mentioed. connector is fine.
The 1st time you plugged the hdd into the pc via usb it worked and you copied files to it.

The 2nd time you plugged it in it does not show.

Do you have access to another hdd/ssd that you can connect to the adapter just to see if it shows?

HITACHI SATA 3.0 GB/s 750Gb 5V 700mA
By default a USB port only delivers 5v 100mA which can be negotiated up to 5v 500mA. As you'd expect, a 5v 700mA drive couldn't be expected to reliably spin up if so limited in power. It might only work sometimes on hot days.

Without knowing what your super secret USB cable is, nobody here can help you. There are cables that have two USB-A ends to get extra power for a spinning HDD (1000mA, generally SATA SSD do not need those), and also SuperSpeed USB 3.0 cables that can negotiate up to 900mA from a single port. But you have been asked 4 times to identify the cable and you have refused to answer.

So all we can suggest is to try the disk internally on another machine to rule out the cable (yes, laptop SATA drives plug right into desktops) or try a USB port on a different machine that may supply a bit more power.