My HDD's go inactive for about 10-30 seconds randomly, even while loading Windows, why?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I have 3 HDD's, a 1TB, a 500Gb and a 320GB, all of which are ok, according to crystal disk info.
Why do they go inactive for those seconds randomly, no matter what I'm doing?

Solution
Hi there Rafael Mestdag,

Do all these drives behave the same way?

I believe that going to Resource Monitor during the freeze would be a good start. See if there's high usage of some of the components over there and what's causing it.
Another thing you can take a loot at are the system's temps. Some software tools could do the job.

It would really not hurt to attach the problematic drives with different cables to different ports.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Yes, they freeze when they go inactive, for instance, if I have a game on the 500GB drive and this HDD freezes, the game freezes, but if my OS is on another one at this time, I can go to the task manager and end the process of the game. So they don't go inactive/freeze all at the same time.

Hi there Rafael Mestdag,

Do all these drives behave the same way?

I believe that going to Resource Monitor during the freeze would be a good start. See if there's high usage of some of the components over there and what's causing it.
Another thing you can take a loot at are the system's temps. Some software tools could do the job.

It would really not hurt to attach the problematic drives with different cables to different ports.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution