[SOLVED] My i5 11400f is stuck at 3100Mhz in Cinebench R23 and gets a very low score!!

Quang_2

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Somehow my i5 11400f is stuck at around 3100Mhz at maximum load. While Google says its max clock is 4200Mhz. So my R23 result is very poor (about 8000, while someone out there gets about 10000)

What is happening?? I mean I just cleaned the cooler and added new thermal paste so the temperature is absolutely fine (around 60 Celcius). I don't understand.

1RzP81u.jpg

Solution
The default turbo power limit for the 11400 is 65W. These CPUs are designed to power limit throttle and slow down so long term, they do not exceed 65W. A decent BIOS will allow you to increase these power limits. If you cannot find these settings in the BIOS, use ThrottleStop and open the TPL window. Set the power limits to the maximum value, 4095W and there will be no more power limit throttling.

g6Jw7Ry.png

Your processor hit temps in the 80s, so I would imagine it is downclocking to avoid said temperatures.
Intel CPUs do not start thermal throttling until they reach 100°C. Any throttling before that is typically power limit throttling which is easy to fix.
Your processor hit temps in the 80s, so I would imagine it is downclocking to avoid said temperatures.
You are still above base clock which leads me to believe turbo boost is working as designed.

I would assess your cooling solution again, and ask yourself if the performance is any different for applications that actually matter, not some synthetic benchmark (are the clock speeds the same in game? Rendering? Whatever your typical workload is?).

Reactions: Quang_2

Quang_2

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
You are still above base clock which leads me to believe turbo boost is working as designed.

I would assess your cooling solution again, and ask yourself if the performance is any different for applications that actually matter, not some synthetic benchmark (are the clock speeds the same in game? Rendering? Whatever your typical workload is?).
Yeah, I just tested again, my processor reach 4200Mhz and nearly 80 degrees at the first 10 seconds of the test. But then it just dropped to 3100Mhz. I also read on the internet that the i5 11400f CPU has 2 states, 65W max and unlimited. Somehow my CPU is locked at 65W. I'm trying to tweak some settings in the bios to see if I can unlock it and check the result again. Thank you.

The default turbo power limit for the 11400 is 65W. These CPUs are designed to power limit throttle and slow down so long term, they do not exceed 65W. A decent BIOS will allow you to increase these power limits. If you cannot find these settings in the BIOS, use ThrottleStop and open the TPL window. Set the power limits to the maximum value, 4095W and there will be no more power limit throttling.

g6Jw7Ry.png

Intel CPUs do not start thermal throttling until they reach 100°C. Any throttling before that is typically power limit throttling which is easy to fix.

Solution
1) Thermals. Intel CPUs will downclock before 100c. You would likely gain clockspeed with a better CPU cooler.

2) Power limits. The 11400f when running at intels spec, the CPU will boost high for a limited duration then drop power back down to 65w when running an all core workload like cinebench. This will cause clockspeeds to drop significantly.

For best performance, you will need to unlock power limits and make sure your CPU and motherboard VRM are running cool.

g6Jw7Ry.png

Theres a distinction to be made between thermal throttling, and downlocking to avoid a certain temperature.
I would call it thermal throttling if it falls below base clock, some drop in frequency to protect the processor from thermal damage.
Reducing turbo speeds (and remaining above base clock) to reach operating temperature goals is different.

Intel CPUs will downclock before 100c.
Not when the CPU is set to default settings. Intel CPUs will continue to run at full speed and they will continue to use full turbo boost until they reach 100°C.

downlocking to avoid a certain temperature
Intel CPUs do not do any down clocking at 80°C or 90°C. Intel has set the thermal throttling temperature for the majority of their CPUs to 100°C for the last 12+ years. For the 3rd Gen, they used 105°C. There is no temperature based throttling at 80°C or 90°C. You can have power limit throttling and the CPU might coincidentally be at one of those temperatures when power limit throttling happens. That has nothing to do with thermal throttling.

If it hits 80C easily with power limit enforced it will hit 100C as easily when power limit is removed.
Until he removes the power limits, no one can say for sure how hot his CPU is going to get. If it only reaches 90°C at full power then his cooling solution is adequate. Getting a better cooler might not be worth it. The CPU does not care if it is running at 70°C, 80°C or 90°C. If the power limits are increased, the CPU can run at its full rated speed at any of those temperatures.

Quang_2

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Not when the CPU is set to default settings. Intel CPUs will continue to run at full speed and they will continue to use full turbo boost until they reach 100°C.

Intel CPUs do not do any down clocking at 80°C or 90°C. Intel has set the thermal throttling temperature for the majority of their CPUs to 100°C for the last 12+ years. For the 3rd Gen, they used 105°C. There is no temperature based throttling at 80°C or 90°C. You can have power limit throttling and the CPU might coincidentally be at one of those temperatures when power limit throttling happens. That has nothing to do with thermal throttling.

Until he removes the power limits, no one can say for sure how hot his CPU is going to get. If it only reaches 90°C at full power then his cooling solution is adequate. Getting a better cooler might not be worth it. The CPU does not care if it is running at 70°C, 80°C or 90°C. If the power limits are increased, the CPU can run at its full rated speed at any of those temperatures.
Thank you guys all. I've just removed the power limit and test again. I can reach around 9300 points in Cinebench. But the temperature is about 85-90 degrees after 10 minutes test. So I think the best is just to stay at 65W until I can get a better cooler.

My mainboard is Ex B560m V5. I use a cheap 15$ Tower Cooler.
It's a combination of poor VRM's and poor cpu cooler. The 11400F runs hot and will throttle down once the VRM's warm up.

Here's an example of a B560 board with good VRM's. Pair that board up with a 11400F, a decent cpu cooler and it will run like a bat out of h3ll all day long with the power limits turned off in the bios.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144396
MSI MAG B560M BAZOOKA $139.99

https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-Solutions-Phantom-Cooler-Case/dp/B076KYYSRW
Gelid Solutions Phantom CPU Cooler $36.99

b560temps.jpg