Question My I7-4771 is reaching 99c while gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2019
Anthem is the only game that makes my CPU go this high and I would like to know if it's ok to keep playing like this, as I know some people run stress tests with the CPU on this temperature range for some minutes.

I've tested with a Intel stock cooler and with a Hyper 212X, and both yeld same results in therms of temperatures, I can get lower idles with the 212X, but that's really it.

For thermal paste I've used Arctic Silver 5 and the Cooler Master thermal paste that came with the 212X, again, both yielding same results.

PC usage is not that high, for most of the time is under 80%, and reaching peaks of 93% of usage

Mar 10, 2019
For the benefit of our other Members, when posting temperature Threads, please provide full system spec's including ambient room temperature. It'll save those who respond from spinning their wheels.

CT 😎

Yeah, that was totally my bad, I should have definetly inform the ambient temperatures in my first post, sorry about that, I know it can impact the temperatures, just didn't knew exactly by how much.
22C would be awesome, but I live in Brazil and now I live near a beach, which is waaay hotter then the place I was living in before. We are now reaching the final days of the summer, I don't have much hope of a temperature drop when the next season arrives, maybe winter, but we don't get to see snow in here, so I'm expecting 16ºC ambient temperatures at the lowest during the winter.

With that said, something happened in my family and I'll have to buy the cooler next month. Don't worry, I'll still provide an update once I have any news on this matter, it's the least that I can do for everyone that even read this thread and for any future reference.

Reactions: MetallicMonk

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Yeah, that was totally my bad, I should have definetly inform the ambient temperatures in my first post, sorry about that, I know it can impact the temperatures, just didn't knew exactly by how much.
22C would be awesome, but I live in Brazil and now I live near a beach, which is waaay hotter then the place I was living in before. We are now reaching the final days of the summer, I don't have much hope of a temperature drop when the next season arrives, maybe winter, but we don't get to see snow in here, so I'm expecting 16ºC ambient temperatures at the lowest during the winter.

With that said, something happened in my family and I'll have to buy the cooler next month. Don't worry, I'll still provide an update once I have any news on this matter, it's the least that I can do for everyone that even read this thread and for any future reference.

All the best with your situation. I live in Western Australia where we saw 43C max this summer. I found an evaporative cooler for my room helped heaps. Depending on where you are situated in Brazil, the efficacy of that type of cooler is impacted largely by humidity. They work best in dry, hot environments.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Devanti-E...te-Eac03rc/6024016765?iid=183533312296&chn=ps

Last edited:

CompuTronix

Intel Master

For the purpose of simplicity, like any inanimate object, all the hardware inside your computer will increase and decrease in direct proportion to the environment. However, when you power up your rig from a cold start, the relationship between ambient temperature and your processor's Core temperatures don't quite follow the same rule.

Due to a factor known as "leakage current", as ambient temperature increases, Core temperatures will increase by an additional 10%. The actual value varies and can be somewhat greater, but as ambient temperature increases by 10 degrees, you can expect your Core temperatures to increase by at least 11 degrees.

It's another aspect of processor thermal behavior the well informed user should keep in mind when considering the effects of ambient temperature.

CT 😎