[SOLVED] My idle temps increased. Is it normal?

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Hello! I check my temps every time I boot up on my pc, start a game, etc. Idle temps used to be 37-49. Now its 42-50 (stays on 49-50 most of the time). The increase happened after I stopped checking my temps for 2 days. Now, my old temps while playing games seem to be almost the same.

Old temps when playing games used to be at 50c-61c almost all the time.

New ones are basically the same.

Should I worry about this? Performance seems to be the same to but I'm just being paranoid at the moment.

Best regards,
Nonkii

Solution
I think this boils down to one question you asked:

Should I worry about this?
No. Because frankly, idle temps are usually irrelevant. They can just be a good indicator. And as long as regardless of load, you don't go over a certain temperature, you're fine.

You say your old temps are the same under load and assuming that these temps are generally below 80 degrees, then that's mostly all that matters.

However this does depend on your CPU! I'm saying this assuming you've either got a newer Ryzen or a common Intel CPU. For these, they don't care whether it's under load or idle, they care if they're temperatures go over a threshold to the point it could cause long term or quick damage, irrespective as to whether it's...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Should I worry about this?
No. Because frankly, idle temps are usually irrelevant. They can just be a good indicator. And as long as regardless of load, you don't go over a certain temperature, you're fine.

You say your old temps are the same under load and assuming that these temps are generally below 80 degrees, then that's mostly all that matters.

However this does depend on your CPU! I'm saying this assuming you've either got a newer Ryzen or a common Intel CPU. For these, they don't care whether it's under load or idle, they care if they're temperatures go over a threshold to the point it could cause long term or quick damage, irrespective as to whether it's under load or not.

So if your load temperatures are - as a general recommendation, without knowing your CPU - below 80 degrees, there's little reason to worry (sudden temp spikes that then reduce are also not worrisome). You'll just want to always keep an eye on it.

Lastly, you might just have more running in the background, we use the term "idle" but in reality, never is a CPU not processing something or a multitude of things in the background. You just won't see them.

Reactions: Nonkii
Solution

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

However this does depend on your CPU! I'm saying this assuming you've either got a newer Ryzen or a common Intel CPU. For these, they don't care whether it's under load or idle, they care if they're temperatures go over a threshold to the point it could cause long term or quick damage, irrespective as to whether it's under load or not.

So if your load temperatures are - as a general recommendation, without knowing your CPU - below 80 degrees, there's little reason to worry (sudden temp spikes that then reduce are also not worrisome). You'll just want to always keep an eye on it.

Lastly, you might just have more running in the background, we use the term "idle" but in reality, never is a CPU not processing something or a multitude of things in the background. You just won't see them.
Thanks for the fast response and detailed explanation!

Reactions: PC Tailor

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
You're welcome my friend.

Last thing I forgot to mention which is probably the most likely explanation for your slight temp increase - is if your ambient room temperature goes up by a degree or two, you'll see a degree or two added to your CPU as well.
Alright, thanks! Forgot to give you a "Best Answer" so here you go!