[SOLVED] My Intel computer will not install the 1903 update due to an AMD issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 2, 2019
As stated, I am using an intel build. The update states that it cannot upgrade to 1903 until I update my AMD drivers for my "AMD Ryzen" or Threadripper "configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode" Those drivers can't be updated, as this is NOT an AMD system. It is intel. As directed by the links, I go to the X399 Drivers & Support page to be told my system is not an AMD system and the drivers will not update. The Motherboard is an ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 with a chipset Z390. It is currently configuring my Crucial P1 M.2 2280 as a AMD-Raid SCSI device. and the drivers will not update by any means.

All attempts to update the driver fail. All attempts to "repair" windows fail to resolve the issue.

Not sure what to attempt next. Also it should be noted, that the Crucial Storage Executive does not "see" the physical drive at all preventing updates to drivers or any manipulation of the drive( firmware) as Crucial suggests. Intel SSD Toolbox CAN see the drive physically, but again can offer no manipulation of the drivers or firmware.

The computer specs are listed here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5AY8N8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
Issue Fixed. Not a Windows, not a driver, not a motherboard. Turns out it was in fact an error, as stated in most of my replies, at the assembly company. After MUCH patience I finally got a reply to my email. "We will send out a properly imaged M2 drive." It arrived, installed. perfection. I was even able to salvage my information from the old drive, then nuke it, delete the partitions, re-partition, re format, then delete the image on the old drive, package it up and send it right back. So the 3rd party guru that gave me the insight that this was a custom image used by the assembler of the unit as a short cut, appears to be correct. Of course I have to get every thing set back to my preferences again, but what...

Colif

Win 11 Master

Colif

Win 11 Master
makes me question if its right, I don't think nvme drives use sata. nvme run off PCI lanes.

I would be more inclined to try to explain solution to Asrock or Asus on their support forums and ask what they think. You can't be only 3 people on earth who will get this.

just wait and see if anyone else answers who is sure. I don't have an mnve drive myself so unsure :)

Aug 2, 2019
I have pounded the Asrock sand too. and the win 10 installer. Asrock is of the mind that the motherboard and bios settings are working as designed. The folks that put their MoBo in the computer have used the shortcuts.
The drivers are working as designed, the hardware is functioning properly. All entities involved are pointing the fingers at the guy who put it together and put his name on the case. So AMD, Windows, Asus, Asrock, Samsung, Crucial and the like are firmly convinced that it isn't something they need to help in resolving as they do not support alterations of the intended function. We are in fact using AMD drivers on an Intel build, which violates warranties on the assembly line of the retailer, before we even touch it. Still waiting on that reply back from the folks that put it together. Pretty sure there is no other option left as it was explained to me. Change the bios setting, wipe it, reformat it and install a clean copy of the OS. So pain in the backside

D

Deleted member 14196

I have pounded the Asrock sand too. and the win 10 installer. Asrock is of the mind that the motherboard and bios settings are working as designed. The folks that put their MoBo in the computer have used the shortcuts.
The drivers are working as designed, the hardware is functioning properly. All entities involved are pointing the fingers at the guy who put it together and put his name on the case. So AMD, Windows, Asus, Asrock, Samsung, Crucial and the like are firmly convinced that it isn't something they need to help in resolving as they do not support alterations of the intended function. We are in fact using AMD drivers on an Intel build, which violates warranties on the assembly line of the retailer, before we even touch it. Still waiting on that reply back from the folks that put it together. Pretty sure there is no other option left as it was explained to me. Change the bios setting, wipe it, reformat it and install a clean copy of the OS. So pain in the backside
well, you do what you have to. back up your data first. glad you sorted it and provided the answer for all those coming to the website for help with that issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 2, 2019
Not the drives, they work off of several platforms. The drives as stated the hardware is working flawlessly. The custom drivers they used cannot be updated. The folks that assembled the computer build and slapped their name on it used a custom setting in the bios. They use this short cut making it a SCSI Raid 0 drive instead of Nvme or SATA or God forbid, a SINGLE drive which is what it actually happens to be. The shortcut enables them to use 1 image for an intel or an AMD build. They finally responded to me today after a week. Instead of looking into the issue, and using the service tag number, they want the 17 digit number listed on the shipment invoice. Progress?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Who made the PC then? If its the system builders responsible for it, nice to know who it was.

The system builders making the change in bios are the ones who have to figure out the way forward. Can't just throw hands in air and go, oh well, all our PC sold in last X years won't be able to install 1903 without a clean install after bios changes, lets act like we don't know anything and bounce it onto the manufacturers, and no one will ever blame us.

Sep 3, 2019
Just to let you know, even if I don't think it will be really usefull, I'm waiting an answer from Microsoft and another one from ASRock.

The 2 machine I mentionned were assembled buy a famous brand in France, but I selected all the components. And I also built myself some PC.

If none of their answer are useful, I'll do the reinstall. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again for the time you spent on that case. =)

Sep 7, 2019
Thank god I'm not the only one...

First post
Hello everybody !

I have this exact problem. I've been trying to solve it for hours. I'm sick of it. What are we supposed to do ? It's my first PC, I don't know the Os and its intricacies... Gosh I think I'm going to ask to a repair shop. The exact same scenario : the same drivers, the same blue screen after removing them, the same message about AMD stuf on a clearly Intel oriented build and the same frustration building up I guess. I'd like to avoid a fresh reinstall, I have hundreds of apps and audio plugins, and everything is beautifully configured. dammit :'(...

Reactions: MirabellStudio
Sep 7, 2019
Oh and btw since the very begining my computer fails at every first boot. Then I turn it off and on again, and it boots. Windows 10 pro is on a NVME.2.3. It could be linked... The hardware parts are top notch, it has to be a software-related issue.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019
You are right but I have a feeling it's going to be very long and painful ; I can't let it go for too long. For now I'm going to wait and see how the story unfolds.

Sep 7, 2019
I must confess I have used an automatic driver update suite. Once. and then I uninstalled it. Noobs are dumb. But as someone said above, it's also happening on a clean machine (no use of such software), so these freewares may not be responsible. I kinda feel better. Thx internet.

The company LDLC is pretty big, to answer your question !

Colif

Win 11 Master
If the answer is correct, this isn't a windows problem, its more a "how the PC was made" problem and nothing you can do without changing bios settings will fix it. Flashing bios and setting to defaults could be all that is needed, if the bios has a newer version. Some motherboards allow you to flash the same bios version... and the custom changes are made by OEM, not motherboard makers in most cases.

Sep 3, 2019
Hi folks.

I've just checked another PC with an NVMe drive (where the OS is installed) except this time, I've built the machine. I've also ran a driver update software a few times ago on it and guess what?

No AMD drivers.

I'm completly lost.
I'll try the update tonight.

I can't tell if that comes from LDLC, as the drivers I mentionned weren't there at the begining.

It has to be software related, I guess.

@lowlou What kind of apps are you using? We are in video editing and 3D here, and we also use lots of software (Adobe CC Suite, Red Cine Pro, 3DS Max, Maya,...). Maybe we have one in common that is the origin of that mess.

Reactions: lowlou
Sep 7, 2019
Hey ! so I'm into 3D and music. softwares : Maya, Renderman, Photoshop, Affinity trio (go for it, it's way better than Adobe offer) and for music I use Reaper and lots of third partyplugins. You made yours via LDLC ? I spent half an hour with the support today, and they say, as it's software-related, it's not covered by the 2-years warranty. He says that if we can't delete the drivers, then the only solution is a clean install. Regarding my faulty boot, it's probably more hardware related (Mobo or power supply) so it's out of topic.

my computer :

be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W
ASUS DRW-24D5MT
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 To (basic storage)
be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2
2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX Series Low Profile 16 Go (2x 8 Go) DDR4 3600 MHz CL18
Crucial P1 M.2 PCIe NVMe 500 Go (boot)
ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme
ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE II
Intel Core i9-7940X (3.1 GHz)
Windows 1O pro 64

In the app HWINFO64, that scans the system and give infos about the build, section "drives" I find these crazy specs :

SATA 6 Gb/s Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
ATA AMD-RAID Configuration
AMD-RAID CT500P1SSD8
ATAPI ASUS DRW-24D5MT (DVD+R DL)

(facepalm)

Last edited: