Question My internet disconnects when gaming for 10-15s then comes back fine. PLS HELP!!!

Nuplar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
I've had this issue for months that when im playing a game i randomly disconnect for about 10-15s and then its fine again. Sometimes it happens frequently and sometimes it doesnt happen but once and hour. I've had very few occasions were its never happened at least once in a day. My internet is fine other than those disconnects though. I never get ping spikes or lag issues at all unless its the disconnects. Sometimes it completely disconnects me from a game and other times everything freezes for 10-15s. Eventually the game catches back up and goes back to normal.

Its not the ethernet cable. I unplugged it and it happened on wireless too.
I had a guy from my ISP come out and he said there was nothing wrong with the router in the house and that its most likely not on their side.
I have seen people say that Anti-Virus can cause issues sometimes.

I have tried so much and i can't figure out what's causing it.

MSI MEG Z390 GODLIKE
GTX 2080TI
I9-9900K
1200W THERMALTAKE
990 EVO 1TB SSD
CUSTOM WATER LOOP

I'm plugged in with Ethernet

If it is random the ISP will not see it unless they happen to test when it happens.

Check you route/modem and look for log messages to see if there is a indication the internet went down.

Open a cmd window and leave a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 run in the back ground. When the game has issues see if you get packet loss or other issues with the ping. If you can leave ping run on another device at the same time to see if both devices are affected or only yours. This is to see if you should be checking the PC or the network for the problem.

Nuplar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
If it is random the ISP will not see it unless they happen to test when it happens.

Check you route/modem and look for log messages to see if there is a indication the internet went down.

Open a cmd window and leave a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 run in the back ground. When the game has issues see if you get packet loss or other issues with the ping. If you can leave ping run on another device at the same time to see if both devices are affected or only yours. This is to see if you should be checking the PC or the network for the problem.
I tried doing the constant ping. When it disconnects in the game it doesn't drops packets on the command prompt. Also i haven't tried pinging another device, because my dad said he hasn't had a problem on his computer.

So if you get no packet loss then it really isn't a network problem. It could be maybe to the game servers but not to the google dns (8.8.8.8). There is not much you can do to fix that since it likely is outside your ISP.

These are much harder to fix because something is only making it appear that you have a network outage. Since the ping command works fine you have good network connectivity

If it was just games I would suspect something like a video driver. When it affects other things you need to maybe check stuff like the event log and see if some issue with the machine.

vaynardx

Reputable
Mar 15, 2016
The first thing to do would be to ensure that the cables are okay. If you are on WiFi, then perhaps you can update your router's firmware and perform a factory reset afterward. Doing the latter has solved most of my disconnection problems before.

Nuplar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
So if you get no packet loss then it really isn't a network problem. It could be maybe to the game servers but not to the google dns (8.8.8.8). There is not much you can do to fix that since it likely is outside your ISP.

These are much harder to fix because something is only making it appear that you have a network outage. Since the ping command works fine you have good network connectivity

If it was just games I would suspect something like a video driver. When it affects other things you need to maybe check stuff like the event log and see if some issue with the machine.
How is it to the game servers if it happens with every game. I would understand if it happened with 1 game or two games on the same launcher. It literally happens with every game. The only other times i realize it is when I'm in a discord call with my friends. There voices will sound robotic and cut out when it happens. If i talk during the disconnection they hear me, but I don't hear they say anything back until the disconnect stops.

I was just saying that if it works to 8.8.8.8 that only means your ISP has good connectivity to google it may not to other ISPs and those other ISP may have game servers on them.

Yours is very hard to find because the simple tools like ping say you have no problems. Be very sure to test carefully to be certain of the results since your problem has the symptoms of a network issue.

The key thing to try to determine is what is different about traffic going via games and discord and simple ping commands. You can try the brute force approach and use wireshark to capture the traffic. You will then know if you are getting packet loss in applications.

If you want another wild guess I will blame the killer chipset you are using. Especially since it is both ethernet and wifi. Killer has a history of drivers with very strange errors. The so called "gamer" drivers have all kinds of strange bugs. They fix one and more are in the next release. I would try to get the drivers they have without all the killer features. Just uninstalling the application many times is not enough you need to get rid of the hooks that are in the drivers.

This is one the first things I check on a motherboard. I will never again buy a board with killer network chips.

Nuplar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
I was just saying that if it works to 8.8.8.8 that only means your ISP has good connectivity to google it may not to other ISPs and those other ISP may have game servers on them.

Yours is very hard to find because the simple tools like ping say you have no problems. Be very sure to test carefully to be certain of the results since your problem has the symptoms of a network issue.

The key thing to try to determine is what is different about traffic going via games and discord and simple ping commands. You can try the brute force approach and use wireshark to capture the traffic. You will then know if you are getting packet loss in applications.

If you want another wild guess I will blame the killer chipset you are using. Especially since it is both ethernet and wifi. Killer has a history of drivers with very strange errors. The so called "gamer" drivers have all kinds of strange bugs. They fix one and more are in the next release. I would try to get the drivers they have without all the killer features. Just uninstalling the application many times is not enough you need to get rid of the hooks that are in the drivers.

This is one the first things I check on a motherboard. I will never again buy a board with killer network chips.
Do you think i should get a Network Card? Many people have told me to get one and plug the ethernet into it.

No it should be fine just download the drivers from killer that do not have the extra stuff. Last time I looked it was in a area that said driver only or something.

At least make sure the "gamer" software is not running that is the cause of most the issues.

It may not be the problem it is just that so many people that complain of very strange network problems on this forum and a large number of times it turned out to be the killer firmware.

Nuplar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
I disabled my windows firewall and it disconnected again. I enabled it since that wasn't the issue and it hasn't happened but once in the last 3 days. Since it still happened, do you still want me to try and uninstall the killer software then reinstall it?