[SOLVED] My internet keeps disconnecting ?

Apr 30, 2022
So long story short. I build a pc last year, when i put the video card later i was careless and killed my ethernet port with static electricity. I'm a using an ethernet to usb converter. It worked well for 4-5 months but this week it started to act up. It's disconnecting inconsistently. Somethimes after a day, hours or 10 min. When i plug it out and in again it works for some time again. At first i thought the convert cable died but i tried to share internet from my phone and it's produce the same problem. I also uncheck any power saving options on my usb ports. What could cause a problem like this? I never met with this before. Anyone have a guess?

My specs if it's help in anything:

• Gigabyte Aorus B550M motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
  • Alpenföhn Dolomit PWM CPU Cooler
  • Kingston Fury 4x4gb
  • ZOTAC RTX3060 - AMP WHITE EDITION
  • 500gb/2tb Samsung/Toshiba HDD
  • Zalman 650W GigaMax(VII) 80 Plus Bronze power supply

Solution
It is surprising you damaged a ethernet port with just static they have quit a bit of protection in most modern systems. Then again this only protect against stuff coming in via the cable if you damaged the motherboard directly I guess it is you just got very unlucky.
I had bunch of ethernet ports killed by a lightning strike nearby even though all by equipment is on UPS and additional surge protectors.

It almost sounds like you somehow damaged the USB port. Maybe it happened the same time and is just showing up.

Have you tried all the USB ports on your machine, USB2 ports will not run at full speed but I guess it is better than nothing. Most motherboards have mulitple hardware chips for different ports so you would not...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

killed my ethernet port with static electricity
I think you have a bigger problem, in the sense that you might have a grounding problem or that you live in an environment with a lot of static electricity.

The issue you've stated in the last sentences might indicate that the adapter you're working with is heating up. Ming sharing a link to the adapter you're working with?

Apr 30, 2022
I doubt it would be a grounding problem. I'm a 100% sure it was just static. I put together all of my computers on my bed (small house and i hav'nt got a big enough table for build). I'm going into detail on this one. I built the pc a year ago and bought the video card later, 3 month ago. The problem was with the new bed cover. It was static as heck and i didn't check it, so my bad on this one. At first i didn't knew what happened. The next day my cat played on the bed. When i tried to pet he, he zapped me. That's how i knew what happened to my motherboard. Probably when i pulled the case in front of me. My girlfriend pc is doing good and we have the same parts except the video card. Both our computers are on the same electric line and everything. If we have a grounding or static problem she should have the same problem. Story time over.

The adapter i using: https://www.pcx.hu/blackbird-usb-3-0-gigabit-lan-adapter-bh1307--00500747 (The link is in hungarian. I could find it anywhere else)
I dont think that one is the only problem. It really seems to do it on any usb device. As i said, if i'm sharing net from my phone is it's doing the same. Now the more interesting part. It's seems it's doing it while i'm using youtube. I tried this weeked to download from steam, play online and no problems were seen. I know it sounds weird. That's why i staring at my pc like: Dude what's your problem XD

It is surprising you damaged a ethernet port with just static they have quit a bit of protection in most modern systems. Then again this only protect against stuff coming in via the cable if you damaged the motherboard directly I guess it is you just got very unlucky.
I had bunch of ethernet ports killed by a lightning strike nearby even though all by equipment is on UPS and additional surge protectors.

It almost sounds like you somehow damaged the USB port. Maybe it happened the same time and is just showing up.

Have you tried all the USB ports on your machine, USB2 ports will not run at full speed but I guess it is better than nothing. Most motherboards have mulitple hardware chips for different ports so you would not think all would fail.

Does the USB ethernet port work on other computers.

If you have lost both the USB and ethernet ports I would start to consider buying a new motherboard. A PCIE ethernet cards is not very expensive if you have a slot it will fit in.

Solution