[SOLVED] My issue is extremely weird please read the entire problem -- (it'll be quite long sorry).

Oct 9, 2020
I'm from India (no don't stop reading please). I have an Acer predator helios 300 (2018) with 1050ti, i5 8300h and 8gb ram. So, the problem started like half a month ago, I was playing Hades one day and noticed some lag on it, I didn't really think much of it and ignored it. The next day I tried connecting my laptop to TV to play Hades on a larger screen but it wont connect. I found out that my GPU(1050ti) had been disabled by windows saying that it found some problems with it and error code was 42 or 43 something I think. I couldn't really think of anything so I reinstalled windows (had to install 2004 version coz downloaded fresh ISO) but the problem still persists now with a different error though. earlier I used to get complete black screens. Now I get BSOD with an error video TDR failure and code nvlddmkm.sys. after the reboot windows again disables my GPU and I have to reenable it every time. this happens randomly, sometimes it doesn't happed for 2-3 days sometimes it happens twice on same day.

After this i went to the service center where they reinstalled windows and all the drivers(v388.56 for the 1050ti) but the problem wasn't solved and i was still getting lags. They said i'll have to get the mobo changed so i came home with the laptop. I felt like they didn't close the back case properly so i opened the laptop and i thought since im opening i might as well repaste it so i did. and surprisingly the laptop worked fine for quite a few days like 2 weeks. But then GPU started crashing while gaming again with these weird multicolored dots on screen as if my screen had broken, the laptop would freeze and i had to hold the power button to shut it off.

The game was rocket league and i was running it at max settings with 120fps cap. So, after the crashing i installed Heaven Benchmark and it crashed too. So, I tried lowering the cap in rocket league to 60 fps and the game did not crash at all. after that i started suspecting it being a power problem so i used afterburner to reduce the clocks and voltage of my gpu and now i could run the game at 120 fps max settings again. then i download metal gear solid 5, played it at max settings 60fps and again no problem. But today i downloaded ghostrunner demo and played it on max settings, i was not able to achieve 60 fps(only 39-40) and the game crashed altho the pc started lagging and freezing, it didnt crash into multicolored dots like before and i could end ghostrunner from task manager through the lag.

AND FINALLY, now my pc lags even when im on battery, and gpu isnt doing anything. sometimes it just goes black for like half a second like its loading something. also ive been getting errors on boot like dxgkrnl.sys error and video-TDR error (NvLDDMKM.sys) sometimes, sometimes it wont boot and just be a black screen and i hold the power button and reboot.
*Now, I remebered that the first time i opened the laptop after getting it back from service center, i disconnected the battery and reconnected it, i repasted the laptop and also i taped certain parts of the fan where i thought the warm air could be leaking from that was coming from the heatsink(i'm not sure if u can imagine).

So this time again, i disconnected the battery and saw some games again and applied tape on the same portion of the fan. Also i played games on my laptop on just the power adapter with the battery disconnected. AND IT WORKED AGAIN, the games ran perfectly. I've reconnected the battery now and the games are still running perfectly. This is sooooo weird, i mean what could be the thing that kind of resets the laptop again for it to start working again.***

Anyway so i couldn't understand the problem but i thought u could help me figure it out
could it be that my battery is bad ? or my power adapter? or that my switch board is doing something weird (coz i know that it sometimes throw current thats supposed to be grounded and i get shock from the metallic rim of the laptop while its plugged in).

Plz reply any help is very much appreciated this thing is soo weird i've never seen anything like this

Oh and one more thing i forgot to mention, my power adapter disconnects everytime it is slightly moved. I don't know if it's the adapter or the charging port that's causing the problem. Sometimes the battery light starts blinking becoz of this and i have to reconnect the charger.

Last edited:
Solution
Why do you say that the service center will not be able to recreate the problem?

If the service center technicians do not get a shock or otherwise detect a voltage on the laptop's case then it is very likely that there is a problem with your home electrical circuits.

If you are not satisfied with their work then go somewhere else.

============

Problem could be a loose connection inside the outlet serving the adapter. A wire not fully connected nor disconnected but loose enough to make the problem intermittent.

Are you or anyone else in your home getting shocks from anything or anywhere: water pipes, metal ductwork, metal railings - any conductor?

Which, if true, means that you need a qualified, knowledgeable electrician to...

Ralston18

Titan
Shocks. Stop everything and unplug the laptop.

Overall based on your description of what has happened I suspect that the PSU is the issue.

Especially if the problems were initially resolved by ending overclocking and voltages.

And lastly, if you are getting shocked via the metallic rim then that is a dangerous situation - likely brought about by some damage or misconnection that happened when the laptop was opened up and improperly re-assembled.

Then again the problem may have been some electrical/power issue all along due to an intermittent electrical short that just got worse overtime.

Find another reputable service center and have them take another look.

All for DIY (Do-It-Yourself) repairs but once the shocking started that means that the problem is beyond most end user's ability to fix.

Unplug the laptop and take it in for service.

Oct 9, 2020

Overall based on your description of what has happened I suspect that the PSU is the issue.

Especially if the problems were initially resolved by ending overclocking and voltages.

And lastly, if you are getting shocked via the metallic rim then that is a dangerous situation - likely brought about by some damage or misconnection that happened when the laptop was opened up and improperly re-assembled.

Then again the problem may have been some electrical/power issue all along due to an intermittent electrical short that just got worse overtime.

All for DIY (Do-It-Yourself) repairs but once the shocking started that means that the problem is beyond most end user's ability to fix.

thanks for replying this fast,

i'll take the laptop to the service center for the wiring issue but i'm pretty sure they'll just say that there's no problem coz they won't be able to recreate it at the service centre. Believe me that's what happened the last time, i was lucky that the gpu crashed then and there and not after i came home otherwise they were just gonna install the drivers and take money for solving the problem. They didn't even troubleshoot the rest of the hardware and directly said that the motherboard needs to be replaced.

I want to know whether i should change my power adapter. Like is it very clear that it's a psu issue and nothing else like maybe the battery itself?

I would also like to know what you and other people think of the fact that the laptop kind of resets itself every time it's opened. Isn't that kinda weird.

Oh and one more thing i forgot to mention, my power adapter disconnects everytime it is slightly moved. I don't know if it's the adapter or the charging port that's causing the problem. Sometimes the battery light starts blinking becoz of this and i have to reconnect the charger.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020

I got my adapter checked and it's giving 19v which it is supposed to. So, i guess its not the problem, what could be the problem then ?

Ralston18

Titan
Why do you say that the service center will not be able to recreate the problem?

If the service center technicians do not get a shock or otherwise detect a voltage on the laptop's case then it is very likely that there is a problem with your home electrical circuits.

If you are not satisfied with their work then go somewhere else.

============

Problem could be a loose connection inside the outlet serving the adapter. A wire not fully connected nor disconnected but loose enough to make the problem intermittent.

Are you or anyone else in your home getting shocks from anything or anywhere: water pipes, metal ductwork, metal railings - any conductor?

Which, if true, means that you need a qualified, knowledgeable electrician to check out your home's electrical system.

Objective being to find and fix the electrical issue causing the laptop problems and shocks.

Solution