Question My laptop cannot connect to my 5GHz Wifi, but all other devices in my house can

May 19, 2020
Hi there,

I've recently returned home from University and I cannot connect to our 5GHz Wifi. I did not have this problem at my uni house, we have the exact same router and have the same ISP (Virgin Media). I've been able to connect to other people's 5GHz internet in the past on my laptop with no problems. We've had this router and ISP for a year, and I had no problems last summer, which makes this all the more confusing.

When I try to troubleshoot on Windows it just recommends I connect an Ethernet cable (however this is not possible due to the location of my room relative to our router and my father working from home now due to the Coronavirus). I've tried changing the settings on my laptop's network adapter to only connect to 5GHz wifi but this didn't change anything.

I'm not sure if this will be of use, but I can connect to the 5GHz wifi when I restart my router. But like I said, I cannot rely on resetting my router constantly as my dad works from home at the moment.

I've never had this problem before and it makes working from home a nightmare as my 2.4GHz is incredibly slow in comparison,

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
On your laptop ensure that the Ethernet network adapter is disabled and that the laptop's wireless network adapter is enabled.

Then reconfigure the laptop's wireless adapter to your home router via the wireless adapter's configuration settings.

Who has full admin rights to your home router? You need help from that person.

TRENDING THREADS