Question My laptop can't connect to 5G wifi anymore?

May 27, 2023
My laptop can usually connects to my 5G hotspot, but last night while I was working my wifi disconnects then my laptop can't find my hotspot anymore. I tried restarting my laptop since that worked before but it didn't work this time. I tried restarting my phone hostspot and my phone, but it didn't work either. But if I change my hotspot to 2.4 ghz my laptop can see it and connect to it.
It's weird because my laptop can see other 5G wifi from my neighbors across the street, but if put my hotspot to 5Ghz, my laptop can't even see it.

What could be the problem?
I tried using netsh wlan show drivers on cmd and it shows that my laptop supports dual band network.

kanewolf

Titan
My laptop can usually connects to my 5G hotspot, but last night while I was working my wifi disconnects then my laptop can't find my hotspot anymore. I tried restarting my laptop since that worked before but it didn't work this time. I tried restarting my phone hostspot and my phone, but it didn't work either. But if I change my hotspot to 2.4 ghz my laptop can see it and connect to it.
It's weird because my laptop can see other 5G wifi from my neighbors across the street, but if put my hotspot to 5Ghz, my laptop can't even see it.

I tried using netsh wlan show drivers on cmd and it shows that my laptop supports dual band network.
One possibility is that the hotspot has picked a 5Ghz channel that your laptop doesn't support. The allowable channels vary by country. It is possible your hotspot allowable channels and your laptop allowable channels are different. See if you can manually set the channel to something below 50. Those channels are universally available.

I encountered this same issue a couple of time with both laptop and PC. You can try this and disable Windows's fast startup feature to see if it works.

Right click on Start (Win logo) and select Windows Powershell (Admin).

Copy and paste the following line one at a time, pressing enter each time. You must press Enter after each command and wait.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

Restart the computer.

Did you try right-clicking and using the Forget option on your old 5g entry?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
One possibility is that the hotspot has picked a 5Ghz channel that your laptop doesn't support. The allowable channels vary by country. It is possible your hotspot allowable channels and your laptop allowable channels are different. See if you can manually set the channel to something below 50. Those channels are universally available.
Did you reboot your router? If your computer can connect to 2.4 and someone else's router, that would lead one to think it's possibly related to the router. I've had to do that with my router occasionally.

May 27, 2023
I tried all of suggestions posted here but sadly, nothing work for me. It is weird bc my friends laptops can see my 5G hotspot but my own laptop can't even tho I can connect to in normally before.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I tried all of suggestions posted here but sadly, nothing work for me. It is weird bc my friends laptops can see my 5G hotspot but my own laptop can't even tho I can connect to in normally before.
Did you try a new wifi adapter on your pc?

May 27, 2023
i am using a laptop, i've been thinking that maybe the wifi card is at fault since i have this laptop for a few years now.