Question My laptop doesn't see the SSD at first...

martiHUN

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Hey guys. Sorry for the long post, I want to give as much info as I can.

I bought a laptop some years ago, it's a Samsung NP300E5A-S0RTR, with an Intel Core i5-2450M, Nvidia GeForce GT 520MX, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, etc. It was decent and good enough for that time, but then I moved on to a desktop PC.

I thought about salvaging the HDD and replacing it with an SSD, so I bought a Kingston A400 120 GB, the cheapest one at the time in Hungary. When I was on installing Windows 10 fresh, it didn't see it at first, and when it did, it formated/installed really slow (even slower than it's original HDD).

After some time, and retries, and messing in the BIOS, I finally managed to put Windows 10 on it, it works well and the speeds are good as expected.

I thought this was a one time only problem, but no. Whenever I turn on the laptop, it doesn't boot into the SSD, I check in the BIOS, it doesn't show up, and I noticed that the screen also flickers a bit whenever I was in the BIOS, which never happened with the HDD. If I keep turning it on and off and changing the BIOS settings, mainly ACHI mode and SATA GEN3 mode, after around 15 minutes, it gives in and boots into Windows in the end and it works just fine. If I turn it off and on then, it boots fine. If I leave it turned off for a couple of hours and turn it on, it starts doing the same problem all over again until I finally get into Windows another 15 minutes later.

This is very annoying, and I don't know what could be the problem. It never does this whenever I switch back to the HDD. I checked the SSD on my desktop, it shows up, I can format it rigth there, it shows no complication.

Lutfij

Titan
In spite of it being old, you should see if there are any BIOS updates pending. To add, did you try taking the SSD out and running it on a desktop? To rule out if the SSD itself is faulty. I've read quite a lot about that drive, in spite of it being cheap it has it's pitfalls with having DoA units and bad read/write speeds. Lastly, did you install your version of Windows 10 using bootable media created with Windows Media Creation Tools?

martiHUN

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I was thinking about the BIOS update too, I downloaded the program from Samsung, but when I ran it it said the BIOS has the lastest updated or something similar. I also tested the SSD on my main desktop PC before as mentioned, the BIOS saw it, I was able to format it, even checked with Kingston SSD Manager and it showed no errors. About installing, I didn't used the Media Creation Tool, I made a USB boot drive with Windows 10 64-bit ISO using Rufus.

martiHUN

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Okay, I made a boot drive with Media Creation Tool this time, plugged into the laptop, hardly but managed to reinstall Windows from scratch, it works, but it still does the same error whenever I leave it turned off or in sleep mode for a long time.