My laptop is playing random music and ads

jjgirl

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
My laptop has been playing random ads and music, literally out of nowhere. I click out of everything turn off the wifi AND logout and it will still be playing. Its been doing that on and off for months. My other protection expired some months ago, so i got the update last week which was $89. But the 1st thing it said was to "Uninstall the previous security system". So i let it run, and it was "uninstalling" for 3 whole days and then it just stopped, So i tried to manually uninstall the other program, but again it would not. I am not sure what to do now.

Solution
I'd try Malwarebytes but I would try using Combofix. I just cleaned up an infection last week with the random ads or music and Combofix was able to take care of it.

You might also try running it in safe mode with networking.

jjgirl

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Hey, I used this cleaner called CCleaner that this IT guy told me to get. I ran it, and it seemed to get rid of alot of programs and other things, but i still have the same problem

Hazle

Distinguished
nononononononono. CCleaner only cleans junk files stored in your PC. you need a software that detects and remove malware.

start with malwarebytes as suggested earlier. if that doesn't work out, I had this problem several years back. i remember using something called PrevX CSI (never heard of malwarebytes then) which i uninstalled after it removed the malware. everything was dandy afterwards.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I'd try Malwarebytes but I would try using Combofix. I just cleaned up an infection last week with the random ads or music and Combofix was able to take care of it.

You might also try running it in safe mode with networking.

Solution

helenwicox1

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I am not sure what to do now.
27.jpg

jjgirl

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

It didn't work (malwarebytes) and i tryed Combo fix too, it told me to buy something. So i got ANOTHER anti-virus thing and it said "the whole system file has been replaced by a malicious file), AVG cannot simply remove the file because it could harm your operating system. "

And then it told me to get a Rescue CD, but when i tried to save it, it saved to the internet and every time i try to open it it just disappears

Rogier_1

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
just found this link because I had a similar problem, and I am using MS security essentials and Hitman Pro, to no avail. Malware Bytes took care of it just fine.