My laptop runs mostly idle. UPS to last 6 hours

kanewolf

Titan
My laptop is only running one app that is light. I use ~35W laptop. Could I use an UPS that can make it last 6 hours if power outages?
How many of those 6 hours does the laptop internal battery cover? If you want long runtime (and 6 hours is a LONG runtime for a UPS), then you probably want a 1500VA or bigger. UPS manufactures don't have runtime estimates that for wattage that low. But a 1500VA APC SmartUPS-Online has a runtime of 56min at 200W.

Have you measured the power draw of the laptop using something like a Kill-a-watt electricity meter? Of course, it's likely that the exact draw may change depending on whether the laptop's battery is charging or not at any given time. Where did you come to that 35 watt value from? Something like a Kill-a-watt meter should provide the option of recording how much total power gets used by the device over a given time period, so you could run the laptop through it for a whole workday to get a better idea of how much total power it uses.

If you need to maximize run-time during a power outage for work or something, you might also want to lower screen brightness when the power goes out. You can probably put the laptop into a power-saving mode at the expense of some performance during those times too.

Another thing to consider is that if you need to access the Internet during that time, you might need to have your router/modem powered as well, and that could potentially be another 10-20 watts or so.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
How many of those 6 hours does the laptop internal battery cover? If you want long runtime (and 6 hours is a LONG runtime for a UPS), then you probably want a 1500VA or bigger. UPS manufactures don't have runtime estimates that for wattage that low. But a 1500VA APC SmartUPS-Online has a runtime of 56min at 200W.
The battery covers about 1,5 hours. So which can I use for 4,5 hours?
Have you measured the power draw of the laptop using something like a Kill-a-watt electricity meter? Of course, it's likely that the exact draw may change depending on whether the laptop's battery is charging or not at any given time. Where did you come to that 35 watt value from? Something like a Kill-a-watt meter should provide the option of recording how much total power gets used by the device over a given time period, so you could run the laptop through it for a whole workday to get a better idea of how much total power it uses.

If you need to maximize run-time during a power outage for work or something, you might also want to lower screen brightness when the power goes out. You can probably put the laptop into a power-saving mode at the expense of some performance during those times too.

Another thing to consider is that if you need to access the Internet during that time, you might need to have your router/modem powered as well, and that could potentially be another 10-20 watts or so.
I see the processor's TDP on the web. Maybe in total I use more than that maybe 50W (Read: it's mostly idle). I don't game. My laptop only has Intel IGPU and it only connects to the internet during use.