My laptop speakers don't work but my headphones plug does

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginosaurio

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
My speakers don't work i tried to see what the problem is with the control panel and it says there's no problem that the speakers are good. when i plug my headphones or an aux cable works perfectly. Please help me i don't know what else to do

Solution
If you have a mac (may be the same for PC, but i'm not sure) there is a sensor in the headphone jack that tells the computer to turn the speakers off when there is headphones plugged in, and sometimes that sensor gets jammed and the computer thinks there is headphones plugged in when there isn't.

Solution: Get a tooth pick or something and stick it in there to un-jam the sensor.

straymutt

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
Just had the same issue, I think lint gets in to the socket. I just put the earphone jack in half way and pushed it home and back out a couple of times. Speakers now work

Nov 18, 2022
If you have a mac (may be the same for PC, but i'm not sure) there is a sensor in the headphone jack that tells the computer to turn the speakers off when there is headphones plugged in, and sometimes that sensor gets jammed and the computer thinks there is headphones plugged in when there isn't.

Solution: Get a tooth pick or something and stick it in there to un-jam the sensor.

The toothpick thing work like a charm. Thank you jacobc888,
I tried a lot of the internet solutions, but none of them works. I even was willing to change my speakers, but fortunately I found this post.
I put the toothpick in the headset jack and I push to the left gently until the sound start.

Status
Not open for further replies.