My laptop stopped connecting to wireless network but others can

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My HP laptop will not connect to our wireless router. It was fine but now it just stopped connecting. It says wireless connections are available but will not connect to ours. My husband's laptop has not been affected.

We have tried everything: resetting the router (multiple times), reinstalling the router. I have not tried to connect anywhere else yet but that is something I am going to try today. What could have happened to the laptop for it to suddenly stop connecting?

Paul Hunt

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
I had the same issue with a pavillion g6 it drove me completely bonkers i was cleaning the rubbish software that had managed to install itself on her system. I tried everything i could find. what was strange was ethernet cable worked fine as did the laptop wi fi sitting next to it {my own} the pavillion said it was connected to my wi fi but i had the yellow triangle and no internet access. I restored the system, i booted to last good configuration,i went on the hp website and downloaded the wi fi drivers, i even tried every channel on my wi fi router, i tried driverpacks for alternatives, and countless other things too long to write but what did it for me was to uninstall the wi fi adapter driver reboot and wait for it to re-install and boom all good.I joined this community just to post this hopefully to spare others the frustration...update sorry i assumed everybody would know how to do that for those that dont this is on windows7 but should be similar on 8.1 etc.
start
right click computer
manage
device manager
double click network adapters
right click wi fi adapter
uninstall
reboot making sure windows update is on and you have a wired internet connection to allow your wi fi drivers to re-install

jbrowder24

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
My laptop for some reason stopped working wireless. My roommate is in charge of all the router/etc with a complicated setup. It's also not always reliable so sometimes use a cord. It'd been a few days since I went wireless and am not sure what happened, other than power went out from storm the other night. But since wireless was still on my phone and tablet, knew it had to just be my laptop. Finally searched WiFi in control panel. Troubleshooting option comes up "Find & fix networking and connection problems." I ran that and was hopeful when it said resetting wireless drive, but then it went to a screen about turning router or modem on and off. My roommate s setup is so complicated that I clicked no and was going to ask him later...but then I was happy to see that the wireless did indeed reset. If yours isn't working yet others are connected, definitely try this simple solution first. I have Windows 8.

Valentino Pereira

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015

Hi! I too faced this problem when windows updated. My laptop wont connect to the home router but detect all others.

**Solution to this problem is to do the traditional disable/enable steps :
1) Go to control panel -> network settings.. then find "Change adapter settings".
2) Right-click WiFi and disable.
3) Once disabled, right-click and enable.

Done! It worked for me. Hope you have a nice day :)

JackH11

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
Had the same problem with win 7 on a Hp Laptop. Could not connect WiFi to my Modem.
After scrolling though blogs over many days saw something about Zone Alarm stopping it.
Delete Zone Alarm . Bingo it now works.

radhakrzx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

radhakrzx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Hello,

Try this 1

1) First make sure that your wireless connection is not disabled.

Click on Start --> In search box, OR click on windows key + R key, type ncpa.cpl and press Enter

"Network Connections" window will be opened. If you find your wireless

connection icon in grey color then right-click on it and select "Enable".

2) Check your SSID and the security key.

Good Luck

Dipizamorq

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

tessa1973

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
worked perfectly. thank you. I have no clue how the system changed itself without me initiating it. but yes this helped. I kind of followed the first few instructions then clicked when I arrived at change adapters I just noticed my wireless connection was disabled so enabled it again and it now works perfectly.

hopefully with no more interruptions.

thanks again.

Bbs Lam

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
This worked for me. Thanks a lot! :love: The only difference was my laptop's Dell and Win 7. There's no "forget network" button but chose "view detail" and input the network name and pswd like new. I found that this concept also worked for my ios and Android :)
C++:

ivqon1

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

Thanks.. this work

Irshard Razook

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

Try connecting the laptop to the router with Ethernet cable, If you get Internet access, then remove the cable & restart the laptop to see now wifi connection giving you internet access. It worked for me. I ran Windows troubleshooter, it gave me an error " Wireless IP address not available" which couldn't be resolved automatically. Then I guessed may be if I connect with the cable laptop can pick up the IP address & it worked for me.

trhadley

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015

I am having the same problem on a new HP Spectre. Mine will connect to other wifi networks fine, just not my home wifi network. No other laptops or phones in the house have an issue. A reset of the router works for a day then the problem returns. I have tried adapter updates, uninstalls, and reinstalls, as well as selecting maximum performance in power management. Please help!

rvettes

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.