My laptop turns on but all I see is a black screen with my cursor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond736

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Yesterday it was fine but today when i turned it on all I saw was a black screen with my cursor that i could move. I've been searching for hours on how to fix this and tried to do all these commands people have said but nothing happens. Not sure if also my keyboard isn't working. Its a windows 8, got it less that 2 months ago. Anything I can do?

Solution
Hi, had the same problem 10 mins ago. Phoned a friend ( university lecturer on it). Hold down power button for 15 seconds , counting 15 , . Switch back on , wait 10 secs ( to see wjat happens) . Phone me back any problems. Didn't need to , it works fine now. Hope you have success.

archiedog

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
I just had that problem. it happened several months ago as well but I forgot how I fixed it. I held the power button down for 15 -20 seconds. Then restarted and the screen came back. It's a miracle!

johnny5alive

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
Hello everyone, i am sure each issue is different from the other. And i realize some of these posts are old.

However let me explain my experience which i actually knew what happened and why it happened to ME. I experienced the same thing which led me to googling what happened and led me here.

I recently upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. No biggie. I just bought my laptop 3 days ago, and have been installing games and programs like crazy. But what pushed it over the edge, is lack of knowing what programs drivers will not play nicely together. In my case, it ended up being that the Virus/Firewall program (which i have on a different computer just fine) Was giving me some sort of driver issue, which caused a black startup screen with just a mouse cursor, after about 20 minutes of black screen an error popped up. I had to roll back to a save point i had made previously, by booting up in F8 Mode before windows booted to the black screen. Now i know that BitDefender just doesn't work right with my setup with the current drivers / version of BitDefender.

The end result is, if you have downloaded a program recently, especially some sort of firewall or virus scanning program, it could be conflicting with your setup, which caused this. I never post anything on any site really, but I hope this helps someone.

Ultimately, Boot into safe mode, and uninstall the program that broke your setup, OR a recovery CD, USB, Reinstallation of Windows. In my case, i didn't care to trial and error , and my simplest solution was a roll back to a restore point. Don't worry your laptop won't blow up, you will just lose some time playing with technology.

lingram

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

I literally just created an account so that I could say holy shit! I was reading all the other complex solutions and thinking I was in the shit, saw your response, gave it a crack, just on the off chance it would work for me and it did! Magic!!! Thank you!!!!

samsungy

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015

Amazing :)
I was stuck on a black screen with cursor, windows narrator (win+u), spacebar-ing between stuff, ctrl to find the password box, ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+shift+ESC nothing working.
It seems as when switching users I interrupted windows when updating, after using your trick windows finished updating and went back to normal - THANK YOU :)

Rosalbacaslo

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
Similar problem with my acer aspire es 13. My laptop starts with the acer startong then after that black screen with a moving cursor.Pressing F8 and ctrl-alt-dlt/esc didnt work. i just pressed the power button for 15 seconds then press the power button again after 5 seconds. It worked! :)

Kristie_2

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

Kristie_2

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
I just got an Asus X550JX-DB71 less than a week ago and had the same problem. Hopefully what worked for me will help you. I turned the computer on saw the screen, so I turned it off again and took out the battery. I waited about 30 seconds before putting the battery back in. It powered up and loaded fine afterwards.

lonecrow

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

lonecrow

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Most times this is caused from your laptop shuting down in the middle of an operating system update. Cure:

Hold the power button down for three to five minutesm. If it does not turn back on as the SonicMaster asus laptops wont then release the botton and promptly repress the on button. This will (reset) your memory and you wont need to replace it as some are stating should be done. That is not normally needed. This works like the old (Unplug the battery and wait five miniutes) trick we used to use when we had removeable batteries. After this is done ket all updates como lete ... it may take a half hour or so .. then your sign on will come up. I highly suggest shutting down your computer and rebooting it fresh after five minutes just to (reseat) all your updates etc... happy putering this christmas and GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.