Question My laptop used to average 144+ FPS in almost any game, now suddenly performance has dropped drastically ?

Jun 13, 2022
Here are my laptop's specs:

GPU: RTX 3060 Ti
CPU: I7 11th gen
RAM: 16gb
2TB SSD

Yeah this used to be so good when i just got it but now after 6 months , the performance is trash. I don't know why ?

Hey there,

You've probably not done anything wrong! But with laptops, specially after a few months, they get very dirty and blocked up. The fans can spin louder, because there is lots of dust and gunk slowing them down. This means your CPU heats up and then throttles.

It will be a good idea to clean your laptop with a can of compressed air. You will have to take off the case and clean it out, and the fans too. Hopefully then you will see an improvement.

It's a good idea to get a laptop cooling pad, to raise the rear of the laptop to let more air in. Ones with 3 or 5 fans can help further cool your CPU. As long as your CPU is as cool at it can be, you should get the performance back.

What is your exact model laptop?

Jun 13, 2022
Hey there,

You've probably not done anything wrong! But with laptops, specially after a few months, they get very dirty and blocked up. The fans can spin louder, because there is lots of dust and gunk slowing them down. This means your CPU heats up and then throttles.

It will be a good idea to clean your laptop with a can of compressed air. You will have to take off the case and clean it out, and the fans too. Hopefully then you will see an improvement.

It's a good idea to get a laptop cooling pad, to raise the rear of the laptop to let more air in. Ones with 3 or 5 fans can help further cool your CPU. As long as your CPU is as cool at it can be, you should get the performance back.

What is your exact model laptop?
I have the Acer Nitro 5 AN517-54.

I don't know if it is the fans, because CSGO works perfectly fine, it averages 120+ fps. But all my other games is like under 40fps.

Set up MSi Afterburner to show CPU clockspeed/usage/temps, and the same for the GPU. Then you can see the speeds of your CPU/GPU along with usage and temps for both.

Run HWInfo (with sensors) and fire up a game you know is not performing as it should. Look for anything that's 100% usage or CPU clocks are low. This will indicate if it's throttling.

Once your CPU heats up, it will throttle to keep within temp limits. That's when your CPU loses clockspeed, and dials back to reduce the temps. This has a horrible effect on gaming FPS.

Jun 13, 2022
Check your windows power profile. It should be set on 'high' power plan.
I Already put everything on high performance. My gpu runs at 100% on all games but it somehow still has 40-fps. Except CSGO. I really do not know why this is getting annoying.

When i load into a game it is fine, it shows 144+fps but as soon as i'm in a menu it just drops down to 40fps.

Jun 13, 2022
Please follow the instructions in my first post. When your system is clean the performance will return. This is a known issue with nearly all 'Gaming Laptops'.
I think this might be the solution, because my pc is louder than before when it is idle. So this is probably it.

And also, when i put a low resolution, the game is fine.

Jun 13, 2022
No, it shouldn't go to zero. Sometimes it will drop a little bit in temps/usage and clocks when the game goes off screen, but I've never seen 0%
I think this problem is software. Do you have any idea to fix it? Because i am sure i touched something i shouldn't have and that messed up my pc.

Jun 13, 2022
It could be. You could re-install windows again to see if it's the OS.

What kind of disk usage do you have? Is your disk nearly full? This can also slow down your system, and sometimes gaming.
I have 300gbs left on my C drive and i have 116gbs on my external drive. (they are both SSD)

If i reinstall windows, will i lose my data?

Last edited:
Alright i reinstalled windows using this method :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0

I don't know if this is the method but nothing changed.
I'd suggest a full clean install, by using this method: Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Set up a Thumb drive and wipe the data too. It's possible your OS is corrupt. That would be the point of doing a fresh install. Clean out everything. I know it's pain to download everything again, but it will rule out a software issue. Just make sure to update all your system drivers, and GPU fresh too when all windows updates are done.

Jun 13, 2022
I'd suggest a full clean install, by using this method: Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Set up a Thumb drive and wipe the data too. It's possible your OS is corrupt. That would be the point of doing a fresh install. Clean out everything. I know it's pain to download everything again, but it will rule out a software issue. Just make sure to update all your system drivers, and GPU fresh too when all windows updates are done.
Alright so it's the same steps, but i just gotta chose the option to erase all my data?
Or i keep the personal files. Cause that will be really painful haha.

Jun 13, 2022
Yeah, i know. It's possible the issue you have is part of the files, so that's why I'm suggesting a clean install.
Hey, so i just did a userBenchmark and the GPU is performing less than expected. They are saying this can now handle basic 3d games, when it could run perfectly warzone/GTA/RDR2 etc on high FPS. So, i am thinking something is wrong with the GPU now.

Hey, so i just did a userBenchmark and the GPU is performing less than expected. They are saying this can now handle basic 3d games, when it could run perfectly warzone/GTA/RDR2 etc on high FPS. So, i am thinking something is wrong with the GPU now.

While userbench is useful for a comparison, it does not test your hardware in any real way. It's not useful to measure performance.

It could be the thermal paste. Can you bring to a local repair store and get them to repaste and test it for you? It's very hard to diagnose without being in front of it.

Jun 13, 2022
While userbench is useful for a comparison, it does not test your hardware in any real way. It's not useful to measure performance.

It could be the thermal paste. Can you bring to a local repair store and get them to repaste and test it for you? It's very hard to diagnose without being in front of it.
Alright, well since this is still in warranty, i am going to send it to Acer so they have a look of what is the problem.