[SOLVED] My m/b gets me crazy. I can not choose boot device

Oct 7, 2021
Hello People. I have a serious problem. i have the asus rog maximus xi hero wifi M/B. with the latest bios updated. In this m/b i have two NVME samsung 970 evo plus. the first one has the o/s. the other one, does not have.
For some reasons i want to install in the second disc. So i have to boot from the DVD(original windows off course). But i can not choose from the bios, because i can not enter in the bios!!! I press F2 or Del but nothing happens.
So i have reseted the bios from the rear buttons, i entered in the bios, and again i could not find in the boot menu, the option to boot from the dvd. Also i can not choose the second disc but only the first which have the OS. Then i entered the dvd in the dvdrom, hoping that it will start. but the first ssd, booted normally and that is all. Then i restarted the pc, and tried to enter the bios, but nothing happened. i shutted down the pc for hours, restarted, but still i can not boot from dvd and i can not enter the bios.

Please help, that is crazy.

Solution
I suggest if you are using Windows 10 or above on one of the existing SSDs, disable Fast Boot, and from Recovery options try to restart to UEFI (BIOS).
If that does not work, disconnect all SSDs/HDDs and boot PC without any storage drives and check if you can enter BIOS.
If your keyboard is plugged into any USB hub or extension cable (just in case) remove such things from the equation.
Try another USB port to plug in the keyboard
Clear the board from any static residual charges by completely switching off the PSU from mains and then long pressing Power on button for 30 - 40 seconds.

If these don't work, try to reset BIOS by shorting the reset pins on the mobo, when PC is completely off, for about 5 - 10 seconds and check again.

Try...

Ralston18

Titan
Are you trying to also install Windows on the second disc or move Windows to the second disk?

Is the second disk just to be a data disk?

Not sure about your intentions/requirements.

This Motherboard?

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xi-hero-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_download

Is the following User Guide/Manual link a match to your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...14808_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

[Verify that I found/identified the correct User Guided/Manual.]

What SATA ports are you using to connect the drives?

Check "Storage" on Page x, SATA connectors on Page 1-14 to ensure that you are using supported configurations.

Also review Chapter 3 (BIOS) to ensure that you did not overlook or misconfigure one of the settings. E.g., Boot Options.

Oct 7, 2021
This is the motherboard and this is the manual.
Both discs are NVME. the second disk, has data but as i mentioned i want to use also with OS
None of SATA except DVD is connected.
Overclock is normal
The problem is that i can not enter the bios.

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
I suggest if you are using Windows 10 or above on one of the existing SSDs, disable Fast Boot, and from Recovery options try to restart to UEFI (BIOS).
If that does not work, disconnect all SSDs/HDDs and boot PC without any storage drives and check if you can enter BIOS.
If your keyboard is plugged into any USB hub or extension cable (just in case) remove such things from the equation.
Try another USB port to plug in the keyboard
Clear the board from any static residual charges by completely switching off the PSU from mains and then long pressing Power on button for 30 - 40 seconds.

If these don't work, try to reset BIOS by shorting the reset pins on the mobo, when PC is completely off, for about 5 - 10 seconds and check again.

Try these steps and update.

Last edited:
Solution