[SOLVED] My messed up airflow!

TerryJeff

Commendable
Apr 19, 2020
Hello guys, I have a question.
So a few days ago my friend gave me a pc. The pc specs were i5 2500k with 12 gigs of ram and 380w PSU. It basically was a small Optiplex 790 without GPU. Then I looked for a decent graphics card on the market and came up with Asus gtx 660 ti. I didn't realize that the GPU was huge in size, so I had to remove the hard drive cage of my small Optiplex case and put 500w PSU. Now there is literally no space for me to move things around and the case doesn't seem to have any airflow at all. (Wiring was terrible too, my new PSU had bigger wires). I'm thinking about a new case now. Should I just get a bigger case and put everything inside it? Does a bigger case mean better airflow?

I am very new to this world, so I would appreciate any help! Thank you :')

Solution
Just because it's bigger, doesn't mean it's better. It's all in how it's used.

There's 3 ways to move air in a pc case. Negative pressure is what most 3rd party OEM prebuilts rely on. Nothing but exhaust to create a lower pressure area inside the case, which draws air in from whatever gaps there are. It can be very effective, as in the NZXT H510, if there's sufficient venting near the front.

Positive pressure systems are like the Silverstone Raven series. 3x 180mm fans on the bottom, forcing any heat out the top. Nothing but air in. Extremely effective at times.

Standard. That's fans in front supplying the lower pressure rear exhausts.

If you believe you have bad airflow, can it be changed. Is there enough venting, is there...
D

Deleted member 2720853

As someone who went from a HP prebuilt to building a PC, I can tell you that it's been possibly the greatest decision I've ever made.

The airflow in the new case alone dropped my temps by around 15 degrees.

Hello guys, I have a question.
So a few days ago my friend gave me a pc. The pc specs were i5 2500k with 12 gigs of ram and 380w PSU. It basically was a small Optiplex 790 without GPU. Then I looked for a decent graphics card on the market and came up with Asus gtx 660 ti. I didn't realize that the GPU was huge in size, so I had to remove the hard drive cage of my small Optiplex case and put 500w PSU. Now there is literally no space for me to move things around and the case doesn't seem to have any airflow at all. (Wiring was terrible too, my new PSU had bigger wires). I'm thinking about a new case now. Should I just get a bigger case and put everything inside it? Does a bigger case mean better airflow?

I am very new to this world, so I would appreciate any help! Thank you :')

You could do that. The question is how much do you want to keep tossing money at it before it doesn't make sense? Thats a very old system and graphics card.

A decent case is $70. Gamers nexus just put up a video today about the best cases for 2020 so far.

TerryJeff

Commendable
Apr 19, 2020
You could do that. The question is how much do you want to keep tossing money at it before it doesn't make sense? Thats a very old system and graphics card.

A decent case is $70. Gamers nexus just put up a video today about the best cases for 2020 so far.
Hello, Thanks for your reply.
I was considering a second-hand case from a friend of mine. I can find a cheap but big one. What's your thought on that? I don't think those cases are gonna be special but its gonna be bigger.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just because it's bigger, doesn't mean it's better. It's all in how it's used.

There's 3 ways to move air in a pc case. Negative pressure is what most 3rd party OEM prebuilts rely on. Nothing but exhaust to create a lower pressure area inside the case, which draws air in from whatever gaps there are. It can be very effective, as in the NZXT H510, if there's sufficient venting near the front.

Positive pressure systems are like the Silverstone Raven series. 3x 180mm fans on the bottom, forcing any heat out the top. Nothing but air in. Extremely effective at times.

Standard. That's fans in front supplying the lower pressure rear exhausts.

If you believe you have bad airflow, can it be changed. Is there enough venting, is there enough fan power. Moving to a bigger case doesn't necessarily mean it's any better, mATX/mITX cases have some of the best airflow characteristics and the giant towers some of the worst. Small cases have considerably less volume, that's less air to displace, so a standard 50cfm 120mm fan is a lot more effective, same fan in a full tower is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.

Modify your current case. Get a fan in front, cut the plastic to fit, have some fun with the experience and experiment. You loose nothing. Might gain a lot. If nothing you try works, then spend money on a new case that might be better suited.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS