[SOLVED] My Minecraft is lagging even though I have an overkill pc for the game.

ASaltyBunion

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I got back into minecraft just a while ago and it runs at about 50 fps and drops every now and then to about 5 fps.
My Specs:
Cpu: Ryzen 7 1700 x
Ram: Gskill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3000 oc
Gpu: MSI Goforce Gtx 1060 6gb Gaming x
Before you go telling me to lower my settings, download optifine, update java, change my jvm arguments, etc I have done all of that and nothing has changed.

Solution
Minecraft doesn't use more than 4 cores, so it is likely your AMD chip doesn't have amazing single core performance. I would try reducing the draw distance, no other setting should kill your performance...it is minecraft after all.

Also, I have a RTX 2080 Ti and a 8700K (6C/12T) at 5 GHz and I get 75 FPS in minecraft with all the settings at max. Just tone down that draw distance, and you will be fine.

mcdoogan

Commendable
Oct 26, 2018
What's the last thing that has changed with your system since the last time you played Minecraft? Easier to narrow it down this way to see if it's a piece of hardware that was updated or a piece of software interfering with the game.

ASaltyBunion

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
What's the last thing that has changed with your system since the last time you played Minecraft? Easier to narrow it down this way to see if it's a piece of hardware that was updated or a piece of software interfering with the game.
I don't believe it is a piece of software. The last major change I made to my system was a new Mobo, Cpu, and ram. Before my upgrade, my system did not run minecraft anywhere close to how well it runs now.

Minecraft doesn't use more than 4 cores, so it is likely your AMD chip doesn't have amazing single core performance. I would try reducing the draw distance, no other setting should kill your performance...it is minecraft after all.

Also, I have a RTX 2080 Ti and a 8700K (6C/12T) at 5 GHz and I get 75 FPS in minecraft with all the settings at max. Just tone down that draw distance, and you will be fine.

Last edited:
Solution