My Mobo died...

nightsurfer_

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Hello, I had a homebuilt PC with a Asus M2N SLI Deluxe motherboard with a AMD phenom 9550 CPU and 4GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 in it. Well the caps in it blew and now I want to buy an inexpensive AM2+ board to reuse the CPU and Ram that I have left over. Do you have any suggestions for another mobo that will use the CPU and Ram. I don't do anything on it but surf the net and run MS Office 2010? Thanks for any advice.

nightsurfer_

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Yes, it was very old and obviously the time came and the caps blew. I had used this machine for a good long time as a secondary pc in the house. It did its job well and was well used. I guess it's time for a new board, a newer CPU and DDR3. I just wanted to recycle the CPU and RAM as I hate to see it used to dump in a landfill in India or China somewhere. Really it was only a net surfer and Office machine that did what it was called on to do for a long time. Godspeed M2N SLI Deluxe! Perhaps I'll offer the CPU and RAM up on Craigslist and they may find a home to someone who feels that same way I do and runs old tech for the fun of it.

nightsurfer_

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion Xuebao61, I took your advice and ordered one on newegg.ca, with shipping and taxes it came to 97.99 Canadian. The Canadian dollar is crap right now but hopefully this board will allow me to run what I did before with that old CPU and Ram and when this one dies, I will be truly ready to step up into the modern world of PCs. Like I said, it is a secondary machine and I just wanted to reuse the Proc and Ram and this looks like it will allow me to do that at a relatively low price. Oh and the best part is that I keep the parts out of some landfill somewhere in the world. The old Mobo is going to FreeGeek Vancouver, so it gets recycled responsibly and ethically. I already feel better that I reused the old parts and didn't just jump to buying a new board, CPU and Ram. God bless THF and their savvy responders.