Question my mom's pc's gpu fan spinning but no display and not detected in device manager

Jan 19, 2019
hi.

my mom's pc (thinkcentre m82) have been shutting down randomly so to help her i decided to check it and found that the cpu fan is dead. i replaced the heatsink with one that require a backplate under the mobo. so when i was removing the gpu (gtx750ti), i have a hard time removing it but then after carefully yanking and flicking the pcie slot pin (the one that's locking the gpu down, located under the gpu... believe me it's hard reaching things in cramped places with my big hands) i successfully removed it.
now after removing the mobo and installing the new heatsink i put it all together. funny thing is the gpu not displaying anything. i moved the vga cable to the onboard graphics port and bam i can see the win10 desktop already. checking device manager i can't see the gtx750ti.
shutdown the pc and checking the bios reveal that it has the default settings which it wasn't before i take the pc apart. before, the first hdd was the first to boot and the option for the uefi/csm was on legacy only. but after this taking apart thing, the bios return to it's default value which is on auto. i tried a different graphics card on the pc and it's working fine. but i haven't tried the gtx750ti on another machine. yes, i cleaned the pcie contact pins on the card with a rubber eraser and still no display. could i have broke the card while i was trying to remove it? thanks for your attention.

Jan 19, 2019
yes that's what i thought. the problem is i can only test it when i get home in a couple of days bringing the card with me and test it on my pc. you see, i live in jakarta, indonesia and my mom's home in bali. so i don't have any options as of now.

Jan 19, 2019
bringing it home just to test it..... and later putting it back on when i visits her again (dont know when, but not very soon), didn't seem to be a fast cure for the problem. anybody with any suggestion?

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
See if there is a local PC shop who might be able to put it in a test bed to check if it still works. They might charge you for the service, but it's quicker than making that trip home just to try it.

Jan 19, 2019
it does occur to me to try and look for a local shop here. i planned to do that while shopping with the wife this evening. well i guess i'll post an update later.

Jan 19, 2019
update.

my mom told me that there is an unused old broken pc in her storage room and surprisingly after i opened the case, it has a hd5670 1gb card in it (the mobo is lga775 apparently). i hurriedly take it out and put it in her m82. so i know the m82 pcie slot is not damaged. i can even go to win10 and install the driver downloaded from amd. now i'm sure the m82 and psu are working because the card also uses a 6pin pcie power connector. oh yeah, did i mention the mobo's onboard video is working? now, what's left is to test the gtx750ti on another pc to make sure if it's still working.... gonna find me a local pc shop this evening.

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
update.

my mom told me that there is an unused old broken pc in her storage room and surprisingly after i opened the case, it has a hd5670 1gb card in it (the mobo is lga775 apparently). i hurriedly take it out and put it in her m82. so i know the m82 pcie slot is not damaged. i can even go to win10 and install the driver downloaded from amd. now i'm sure the m82 and psu are working because the card also uses a 6pin pcie power connector. oh yeah, did i mention the mobo's onboard video is working? now, what's left is to test the gtx750ti on another pc to make sure if it's still working.... gonna find me a local pc shop this evening.
Good luck, and keep us updated. Glad to hear at least the majority of your hardware is still good.

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
thank you. if the thing is really broken i guess i would have to buy her a new gpu at least equivalent to her 750ti. any recommendation? not too expensive though.
Define not too expensive? I'm not quite familiar with any Indonesian retailers, so I'm not sure what pricing is like over there, but I do have a couple ideas.

Basically, give me an idea of budget. :p

Jan 19, 2019
Define not too expensive? I'm not quite familiar with any Indonesian retailers, so I'm not sure what pricing is like over there, but I do have a couple ideas.

Basically, give me an idea of budget. :p
$100 - $150 maybe? at least 2gb ddr5

Have you plugged your monitor's cable to your graphics card yet?
yes. also the title said "not detected in device manager". it's when i plug the cable to onboard vga and boot to win10 to see if the 750ti is there, but unfortunately no.

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
$100 - $150 maybe? at least 2gb ddr5

yes. also the title said "not detected in device manager". it's when i plug the cable to onboard vga and boot to win10 to see if the 750ti is there, but unfortunately no.

If you want comparable performance to a GTX 750 ti, a GT 1030 is slightly slower, but can be had for as little as $75 USD. Case and point: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=n82e16814125973&Ignorebbr=true

For an upgrade that is significantly better, a GTX 1050 is right around $100 USD or so, and can run circles around a 750 ti in most situations. A la link: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=n82e16814125920&Ignorebbr=true

The 1050 is more expensive out of the gate, but the rebate brings the price down significantly. Hope this helps you!