Question My monitor freezes and slowly turns white after a while

Aug 3, 2024
I have a Dell E1914HF monitor that I have been using for a long time. The problem started a week ago and I am not sure what the cause of the problem might be.

When I turn on my computer, everything works as normal for around 1~2 minutes and then a horizontal white line appears on the top region of the screen, the monitor freezes below that white line and the frozen area then slowly turns white.

I thought the problem was from my computer or a loose VGA cable, but the problem persists even when I unplug the monitor from my computer, leading me to believe the problem is in my monitor.

I opened up the monitor and cleaned the interior (or the parts I could reach with my brush anyway) of accumulated dust. I can see that the freezing starts later now (a good direction I guess) but the problem is not gone.

What confuses me the most is, if I power on the monitor after a long time (say, 10~15 minutes), the monitor starts completely fine and then after a while it freezes and turns whjte. What kind of problem is solved if I dont use the monitor for a long time? And arises if I use it for around 3 minutes?

I dont know what the cause is. Has anyone ever faced something like this before? Can anyone help?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I thought the problem was from my computer or a loose VGA cable, but the problem persists even when I unplug the monitor from my computer, leading me to believe the problem is in my monitor.

So the white lines to eventually turning all white is apparent when disconnected from computer? When the monitor freezes, what's actually showing at that point? Images from PC or it's own white thingy?

TV's can fail, monitors aren't exempt. Just unfortunate really, that's what it looks like. Test a TV to completely rule out PC. If TV is fine, or if even another monitor is also fine then you'll know for certain what to do next. Either get the monitor repaired or buy a new one.