My monitor is giving me a "No Signal" error. PC is on. Help!

Kashif Malim

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
A few days ago, after the new Catalyst driver update, I started getting random flickers and artifacts on VLC when I was playing videos. Windows kept giving me errors saying my display drivers had stopped responding and had been successfully recovered. My PC handled GRID Autosports and Planetside 2 without any artifacts or flickers. I've played quite a few AAA titles on 1600x900 on Medium to High settings with 45+FPS. Didn't have any problems till the update. I was running Windows 7 64-bit.

I upgraded to an SSD, installed Windows 8.1 64-bit (clean install) but I was still getting driver recovery errors, flickers and artifacts. Installed older Catalyst drivers, tried the newer ones, but I still had the same problems.

Yesterday, I got a gray screen twice and my computer froze on me, with a sound loop at both times. Once was when I was watching a non-HD video on VLC. The other time, I was watching a review on YouTube, also non-HD. I had to hit the reset button both times.

Today, I was looking at some GPUs online when my PC froze, and my monitor gave me a "No Signal" error. My PC was on, the HDD light was showing activity, and I could hear my fans like usual.

Could it be my GPU?

My PC specs:

CPU: Core i5-3570 3.4GHZ
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D3H
GPU: HIS AMD Radeon HD 5750 512MB DDR5 PCIe3.0/2.x
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600MHZ (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)
SSD: Corsair Force 3 LX 128GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
LAN: Realtek GbE LAN (10/100/1000 Mbit)
Audio: Realtek ALC887
PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W RS-500-PCAR

Solution
Yes it sounds like your Radeon card has gone on the fritz. Even without any AMD drivers installed it would still give you a signal to the screen unless the card itself has died, which is what I suspect has happened.

You may want to connect the monitor to the motherboard's integrated GPU just to be sure the monitor is okay, but pull out your Radeon card first so that the integrated GPU comes back on line.
Yes it sounds like your Radeon card has gone on the fritz. Even without any AMD drivers installed it would still give you a signal to the screen unless the card itself has died, which is what I suspect has happened.

You may want to connect the monitor to the motherboard's integrated GPU just to be sure the monitor is okay, but pull out your Radeon card first so that the integrated GPU comes back on line.

Solution

Kashif Malim

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

Okay let me try that tonight. This is my second GPU to go if this is the case. Thanks Phillip. I'll get back to you once I've tested it out.

Kashif Malim

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

Okay, no issues whatsoever with the IGP. Tried 1080p movies, 1080p videos on YouTube, even the same videos I was playing yesterday when I got that gray screen. No issues so far.

Looks like it is my GPU :-/

Kashif Malim

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Update: Just removed the drivers from safe mode, and reinstalled the older ones. This seems to have improved my PC a bit. It's still freezing a bit though.

Update 2: Got the TDR again on 14.4. It's the hardware.