Question My Monitor often turns black and I have to manually restart my PC. HELP!

ambrosesainsbury

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Hi, I mainly experience this when I'm playing a computer game and what happens if that my monitor turns black, I can still hear noice, but I can't do anything else and I am forced to restart my PC. Also, if it helps I usually hear and slight scratching or loud noice as my monitor turns black.

I have tried with a different monitor and different monitor wires, that is what makes me think it is a PC problem.

Do you know why this is happening? Could it be a problem with my power supply, or could it be a thing in my BIOS settings. Also, my graphics drivers and fully up to date but my CPU or motherboard drivers are not. Any ideas what I should do?

Thank you for any advice!

ambrosesainsbury

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Hi, I mainly experience this when I'm playing a computer game and what happens if that my monitor turns black, I can still hear noice, but I can't do anything else and I am forced to restart my PC. Also, if it helps I usually hear and slight scratching or loud noice as my monitor turns black.

I have tried with a different monitor and different monitor wires, that is what makes me think it is a PC problem.

Do you know why this is happening? Could it be a problem with my power supply, or could it be a thing in my BIOS settings. Also, my graphics drivers and fully up to date but my CPU or motherboard drivers are not. Any ideas what I should do?

Thank you for any advice!

ambrosesainsbury

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
stop spamming the forum
Hi, So I haved this problem for a around 2 weeks and nothing I've read on forums have helped. What happens is that when I'm in a game on my PC occasionally (around once every 2 hours) my Monitor goes black and the only way I can fix it is to manually restart. When it goes black I can still hear the sound BUT when I look at my graphics card (GTX 980ti) the fans are no longer turning, but they are for the rest of the PC

Do you think my GPU is dying, or could it be my PSU. A replacement graphics card could be really expensive so is there anyway I could fix my current one, or do you think the problem could be something else. I have heard that if I provide more voltage or something like that it could help, but I haven't tried it. I have made sure my drivers (except BIOS) have been updated. Any help would be so so appreciated as this is starting to drive me nuts. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

NOTE : I have dusted my PC a fair amount and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, there isn't much dust on the GPU itself, which I removed and dusted specifically. The Temps seem fine as well, as sometimes it goes black the moment I open a game at a time when it's fairly cool, but I'll update this next time it crashes and I'll say the GPU temp just before the crash.

Jun 9, 2019
I had a similar problem. Turned out to be the Asus Aura software causing those issues.

I would delete the Asus software first before throwing money at it.

Last edited: