Question My monitors refresh rate changes unintentionally.

May 13, 2022
Hi. this issue has been plaguing me for ages. I have a 240hz monitor (ASUS TUF GAMING VG279QM), a 3070, and a display cable well qualified to run 240hz. Randomly it doesnt just happen when specific events occur my refresh rate locks itself at 144hz. i dont have a single clue why and it drives me crazy. Could one of my components be faulty? The issue happens after updates, after shutting down and starting up again, it even happens while my pc sits idle or if im doing stuff on it. Theres not a givin reason why and i dread that its due to a bad monitor. Ive scoured the internet for answers and have found none. I desperately hope theres a solution. Thank you for your time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
he issue happens after updates, after shutting down and starting up again, it even happens while my pc sits idle or if im doing stuff on it

does it happen on other PC?

It might be a startup program changing settings?
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

have you installed the drivers for monitor? In most cases you don't need them but maybe?