[SOLVED] my motherboard does not read the second slot ssd

Apr 4, 2020
i tried swapping the 2 ssds i bought to see if the ssds are faulty but the motherrboard does not read the lower ssd no matter what. pleae help, its my first pc ever and im not really educated and i need some help because im having problem with only 1 ssd

[email removed]

Solution
Oh yeah, sorry, i forgot
One is corsair force series mp510 480GB
And the other one corsair force series mp300 240GB

And they are both the second picture
Both of these drives are NVMe SSDs. They will not work in the 2nd M.2 socket of your motherboard. You either need to return the slower MP300 drive and buy a SATA SSD in it's place, or return the ASRock B450M Steel Legend motherboard and buy a motherboard like the ASUS TUF B450M-PRO GAMING which has two M.2 sockets that will both work with NVMe SSDs.
Apr 4, 2020
I'm kinda new to pc, so i don't really know what that SATA
My specs are these:
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE RADEON RX 580 NITRO+
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750w
CPU cooler: deepcool gammaxx gt tuf gaming version
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDF4 - 3200MHz [they are 2 8gb sticks]
Additional fans: DEEPCOOL CF 120 3in1 RGB
I have a deepcool case btw

You did not list your 2 SSDs. The two M.2 sockets on your motherboard are different. The top one will work with both NVME and SATA SSDs. The lower M.2 socket will only work with SATA SSDs. I am guessing both your SSDs are NVME, so they will not work in the lower M.2 socket of your motherboard.

are these 2.5" SSD disks or m.2 SSD chips?
which of these do they look like?:
MZ-76Q2T0BW_005_Dynamic_Black.jpg
MZ-V7S1T0BW_003_R-Perspective_Black.jpg

Apr 4, 2020
Oh yeah, sorry, i forgot

Oh yeah, sorry, i forgot

Both of these drives are NVMe SSDs. They will not work in the 2nd M.2 socket of your motherboard. You either need to return the slower MP300 drive and buy a SATA SSD in it's place, or return the ASRock B450M Steel Legend motherboard and buy a motherboard like the ASUS TUF B450M-PRO GAMING which has two M.2 sockets that will both work with NVMe SSDs.

Solution
Apr 4, 2020
Oof, I'll see what i can do..you can only trade the item in Greece, you cant return it unless it has a problem and we are probably gonna get out of quarantine like 25th May..
Thank you A LOT
I thought i had a broken pc :D
You guys were really friendly and understanding, thank you!
Would you suggest i buy an HDD instead of an SSD tho to put in the second slot?

Apr 4, 2020
Depends on budget and space needs.
How much drive space do you need, and how much do you want to spend?
I would love to have 1TB so i won't have to upgrade every year but it's a little expensive... do you think it's worth it to save some money and get the 1TB EVO?

Also are there any tutorials on how to put it because someone else built the pc for me and i dont know where to put it, what to remove etc

Idk should i maybe get an HDD because SSD SATAs are expensive?
you have the NVMe m.2 for your OS and some programs/games.
you could now get a large 2.5" SATA SSD or even an HD for storage and/or less demanding games.
but a large SATA m.2 to replace the secondary NVMe that is not accessible would be the most efficient option.
price is really the only factor. what budget would you have to put towards this secondary drive?

Could you circle or something the area where i will need to put the sata ssd on?
read through your motherboard user manual. it will have images describing what all of the ports and headers are for.

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Sata SSD's can mount right on the motherboard tray on that case. You'll see the holes for it between the motherbd and the front fans

IMG_9391.jpg

The little connector is the Sata Data connector and connects to the motherboard,
The larger one is power and would come from your power supply.

Notice they are both L-shaped. be sure to mount the cables correctly.

Apr 4, 2020
Sata SSD's can mount right on the motherboard tray on that case. You'll see the holes for it between the motherbd and the front fans

IMG_9391.jpg

The little connector is the Sata Data connector and connects to the motherboard,
The larger one is power and would come from your power supply.

Notice they are both L-shaped. be sure to mount the cables correctly.

Okay, i understood the part with the cables but i didn't understand where i am supposed to place it

https://ibb.co/VMCrdc9 [image]