[SOLVED] My motherboard doesn't like Crucial Ballistix MAX 4000 MHz DDR4 DRAM 2x16GB

Jun 30, 2021
Anyone know of a AM4 motherboard that works with the ram I've got? Got this ram a few months ago and was waiting for a CPU and GPU to finalize the build. Turns out the motherboard doesn't like the ram. Now I'm stuck with an incomplete build and if I were to buy RAM now, one stick of 8gb ram costs $500CDN from local stores, which is the amount I spent on these two sticks way back when. The only thing I can hope for is a motherboard that can use the ram.

MBoard: TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 4000 MHz DDR4 DRAM 2x16GB
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

Presumably you've tried setting DOCP? Did you also try to set the DIMM's up manually? Do this in bios. Most of the time it's possible to get them working with a little tinkering around. Your system does support those OC ram speeds. If you can get your system to boot with the DIMMS installed, run CPU-z and go to the 'SPD tab, and record the timings and voltage for the max rated speed. Then input them in the bios mem settings and hopefully they will work.

Otherwise, RMA them and get a fast set that's on the QVL for the mobo.
Hey there,

Presumably you've tried setting DOCP? Did you also try to set the DIMM's up manually? Do this in bios. Most of the time it's possible to get them working with a little tinkering around. Your system does support those OC ram speeds. If you can get your system to boot with the DIMMS installed, run CPU-z and go to the 'SPD tab, and record the timings and voltage for the max rated speed. Then input them in the bios mem settings and hopefully they will work.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Are you mixing and matching RAM?

Was the Crucial RAM (2 x 16 GB) a matched kit for dual channel use?

If not, return that 8 GB RAM for a refund.

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...US/E17265_TUF_GAMING_B550M-PLUS_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

Page vi lists supported Memory. Do note the suggestion to visit the Asus website for updates regarding the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Also check how you are physically installing the RAM and the configuration being used:

See Section 1.4 on Page 1-9.

Jun 30, 2021
Hey there,

I'm a bit new to setting up computers so no I have not and don't know much about setting DOCP.

The build I am having a problem with is my 2nd ever build. Was about to set up Win 10 on it and got the DRAM error light up constantly on my motherboard. The monitor I've got hooked up to it stays in hibernation so I won't be able to get into the bios and see anything.

The RAM sticks work(Tested at a different location). The main reason I got them was cause I knew the board can run RAM at that speed.

I checked out the Memory QVL list of supported RAM and my board seems to run 8gb x 2 versions of my 16gb x 2 RAM just fine.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021
Are you mixing and matching RAM?

Was the Crucial RAM (2 x 16 GB) a matched kit for dual channel use?

If not, return that 8 GB RAM for a refund.

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...US/E17265_TUF_GAMING_B550M-PLUS_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

Page vi lists supported Memory. Do note the suggestion to visit the Asus website for updates regarding the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Also check how you are physically installing the RAM and the configuration being used:

See Section 1.4 on Page 1-9.
Its this Motherboard(without the M): https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...ing/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/

I bought a 32gb kit of matching 2 x 16gb sticks: https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-Balli...ywords=4000mhz+ram&qid=1609385594&sr=8-9&th=1 The main reason I bought these sticks is because I read up on the specs of the board and its said its compatible with 4000mhz ram. The Memory QVL list of supported RAM for my board seems to run 8gb x 2 versions of my 16gb x 2 RAM just fine.

I put them in the recommend slot orientation and made sure they were installed properly clicks and all. I tried running just one stick in the recommended slot and switched when it wouldn't work. I just get a DRAM error on my board. They are all clean and so are the RAM slots.

I got into contact with a person I know to see if the sticks even work at all and they work just fine.

Ralston18

Titan
Double check the installed RAM versus the supported RAM in the first link you provided.

Yes the 8GB x 2 versions may work just fine but they are not the same as 16GB x 2 version.

I did not note a specific match in the memory tables and, in any case, the timing must be a match as well.

Also not sure about that "odd" 8 GB module you mentioned. Is it also installed?

Jun 30, 2021
Double check the installed RAM versus the supported RAM in the first link you provided.

Yes the 8GB x 2 versions may work just fine but they are not the same as 16GB x 2 version.

I did not note a specific match in the memory tables and, in any case, the timing must be a match as well.

Also not sure about that "odd" 8 GB module you mentioned. Is it also installed?
You're right, they are quite a bit different. I guess I'll have to keep that ram for another build. I can't seem to find another motherboard that can use the ram for the AMD build I was going for.

Ah, the 8gb module was something I found in store. I didn't buy it cause $500 for one 8gb stick that has speeds less then 4000mhz is crazy.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What video card do you have installed? You must have a stand alone GPU as the system lacks integrated video (even though the motherboard may have video ports...those only work with Ryzen models ending in G).

When you installed the memory, did you go into the motherboard BIOS and try to set the memory speed profile to 4000? If so, set it to 2133 and see if stable.

Jun 30, 2021
What video card do you have installed? You must have a stand alone GPU as the system lacks integrated video (even though the motherboard may have video ports...those only work with Ryzen models ending in G).

When you installed the memory, did you go into the motherboard BIOS and try to set the memory speed profile to 4000? If so, set it to 2133 and see if stable.
I've got a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT.

All I get is a DRAM motherboard error and a Hibernated screen but I'll try one or two more things before I give up. Why 2133 btw? Mostly just curious.

Last edited: