Question My motherboard doesnt support ARGB so how do I connect my rgb/fan hub to it?

Aug 29, 2024
I am making a budget build and i need the RGB to work in the fans i have beacaus i am flipping it and otherwise it wont sell. I have a asus q170m- motherboard which doesnt support rgb and i do not know how to connect my rgb/fan hub to it

for manual control of the aRGB effects you would have to get a separate powered hub that has it's own LED controller built-in.
then probably through a remote control you would be able to alter the effects/colors.

you will not be able to control LEDs through the motherboard or any motherboard control software.
if using just a power cable(SATA, USB, etc) to the hub it's possible that you will have the default rainbow effects showing, but will not be able to change the setting.

make sure the LED status is printed in the ad for this system or the buyer may be pretty upset that the LED options were "misrepresented".

Aug 29, 2024
for manual control of the aRGB effects you would have to get a separate powered hub that has it's own LED controller built-in.
then probably through a remote control you would be able to alter the effects/colors.

you will not be able to control LEDs through the motherboard or any motherboard control software.
if using just a power cable(SATA, USB, etc) to the hub it's possible that you will have the default rainbow effects showing, but will not be able to change the setting.

make sure the LED status is printed in the ad for this system or the buyer may be pretty upset that the LED options were "misrepresented".
Doess this mean that if I only connect it up to the motherboard though the power i will be able to get solid colour ARGB but no effects or any of that stuff

Wait I'm confused now, do i only plug in my fan hub to the psu or do i plug it into the fan thingy on my motherboard
"Fan thingy" is necessary only, if you want to control fan speed with hub.
If you want to control only lighting RGB modes, then "fan thingy" on hub is not necessary.

Fan motor control cable (from fan itself) gets connected to motherboard.

Anyway - you may want to add photos, so everyone can understand, what you mean by "fan thingy".

Doess this mean that if I only connect it up to the motherboard though the power i will be able to get solid colour ARGB but no effects or any of that stuff
this is in regard to only LED effects.

if you mean the onboard case hub;
with only power connected you will likely only have the default RGB profile enabled, which will likely be the ugly rainbow effects.
if the hub has an option to be controlled through case front I/O button, then you would have some control over colors & effects.

do i only plug in my fan hub to the psu or do i plug it into the fan thingy on my motherboard
PSU connection would only be for powering any connected fans' LEDs.

PWM control through the hub(if available) would still be connected to a motherboard header for connected fans' speed control.

we would need to know which case this and what fans these are to know for sure what options are available.