my motherboard is a retard

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
On my 1.0g T-bird I just replaced the whiny 60mm 5400rpm hsf with a quieter 80mm 2800rpm hsf, and now the machine shuts down after 5 seconds because the ECS K7VTA3 mobo appears to require 5400 or so rpms out of the cpu fan. The system shuts down immediately with the 80mm fan in, but stick in the 60mm fan and it runs fine. The 60mm fan produces a 34C cpu so no way is the 80mm fan causing a quick oveheat. In the bios under PC Health the rpms are displayed but only the cpu shutdown temperature is adjustable, the other fields are fixed. Nowhere does it say what the minimum cpu fan rpm's are (or even if this failsafe is built into the board, though the evidence is that it is), or how to adjust it. Looks like I'm screwed unless someone has a thought. Thanks.

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy. </i>

Zalman makes a fan adjuster for about $7. Don't know if you can increase your fan speed with it; maybe just decrease it. I would also look for a disable feature for your cpu fan in the bios. It should be in the "pc health" section.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
There's no way to disable the feature. I'm going to rig a 100 and 50 ohm resistor in parallel (the old fan was 33 ohms) and hook it up to this plug and fake the board out. The board does not seem to care about the rpm lead as I've got the 60mm fan plugged in right now running at 1 rpms, only the current across the power leads.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah that should work. Or even just hookup a pot and play with it for a while. A friend of mine who watercools his cpu just hooked up a small clock say LM555, and hooked it up to the signal pin to fool the mobo. Kindof extreem but it works.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Okay I stuck a 50ohm resistor across the 12V and ground leads and that works fine.