Question My motherboard is receiving 8 to 10 v instead of 5

Matheusgasparotto

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Hello, I have a Asus H61M-K , with an Xeon E3-1230, 16gb DDR3 1600, and a 600w psu, and today when I tried to turn on the pc I couldn't because it didn't let me, and it says this: Power supply surges detected during the previous power on.
Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!
And when I go to the Bios the 5V Voltage wonder between 7 to 10 v and its red, what can I do?
Thanks for the help.image

Last edited:
Google "multimeter motherboard test" or something like that. If the stange numbers continue, it's probably a bad power supply. If the numbers show what they should be, it's the motherboard reporting them wrong. If it's the power supply, get that replaced ASAP. If it's the motherboard, it's 50/50. It could just be a limited reporting issue, or it could mean that the motherboard is on it's way out (but won't be damaging other components like the first option).

Matheusgasparotto

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Google "multimeter motherboard test" or something like that. If the stange numbers continue, it's probably a bad power supply. If the numbers show what they should be, it's the motherboard reporting them wrong. If it's the power supply, get that replaced ASAP. If it's the motherboard, it's 50/50. It could just be a limited reporting issue, or it could mean that the motherboard is on it's way out (but won't be damaging other components like the first option).
The thing is that I can't turno on the computer it won't let me, I already tried to change the psu and it says the same thing.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The chances of 2 different psus, no matter if they are junk or not, both reading 7v+ on the 5v rail are astronomically small. You'd have better chances of finding a mouse in Argentina that's related to an elephant in India.

The only common denominator is the motherboard and the software that's reading it. Pull out the power cable from the pc. Push and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Open the case, and pull out the watch battery in the lower right hand corner, it's sometimes right under the back end of the gpu. Wait 10 minutes. Rebuild the pc. Now try and boot.

Many times it has nothing to do with anything other than the sending component on the motherboard. My Asus Z77 read 8.02v on the 12v rail it's entire life, in bios. Read as 10.02v in some software like HWInfo and SpeedFan. I tested it personally with my $300 Fluke multimeter I use at work, 12.2v. The psu was a Seasonic M12-II 520w, which 7 years ago was about the best Bronze psu on the market.

Matheusgasparotto

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
The chances of 2 different psus, no matter if they are junk or not, both reading 7v+ on the 5v rail are astronomically small. You'd have better chances of finding a mouse in Argentina that's related to an elephant in India.

The only common denominator is the motherboard and the software that's reading it. Pull out the power cable from the pc. Push and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Open the case, and pull out the watch battery in the lower right hand corner, it's sometimes right under the back end of the gpu. Wait 10 minutes. Rebuild the pc. Now try and boot.

Many times it has nothing to do with anything other than the sending component on the motherboard. My Asus Z77 read 8.02v on the 12v rail it's entire life, in bios. Read as 10.02v in some software like HWInfo and SpeedFan. I tested it personally with my $300 Fluke multimeter I use at work, 12.2v. The psu was a Seasonic M12-II 520w, which 7 years ago was about the best Bronze psu on the market.
Thanks for the help mate, i turned off asus anti surge and got into windows and then with aida64 i cheked the voltage and on the 5v i have 4.9 or 4.8 ,
Again thanks very much hope you have a nice day.