Question My motherboard kills any ram i put?

Aug 29, 2024
So yesterday I finally bought a gpu and finished my build. But instead of enjoying games I'm now having the most inexplicable problem I've ever seen.

basically i wanted to swap HDDs last night so I turned my PC off, did that but when i turned it on again it just didn't post at all, every fan spun but GPU LED didn't turn on and there was no display. I thought it's the gpu at first but it kept doing the same even when i took it off, I even tested it on my friend's pc and it's fine.

So i went through a whole process of elimination and came to the conclusion that the motherboard is broken.

I Tried my ram sticks on another pc and it didn't post, so the rams were broken, I tested a different ram stick on my pc and it actually turned on. but after i turned it off and on again it did the same thing.

so now I'm left conflicted whether it's my psu or motherboard that are at fault. The PSU is new, it's been a month since I bought it and it's 600w so it's not like it doesn't provide enough power.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of ALL installed components)?

When you installed the GPU and made the changes noted in your post, was the system disconnected from all power sources?

Did you connect/disconnect anything while the system was powered on?

Aug 29, 2024
(make/model of ALL installed components)

motherboard(plus current BIOS version):
CPU:
RAM:
GPU:
drives:
PSU(include overall age):
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P20 (G3) ver. 1.9 (latest)
CPU: i7-3770
RAM: 1x8gb + 1x4gb (generic brands)
GPU: Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming
Drives: 3x 500gb HDDs + 1x 256 gb SSD
PSU: FSP Pnr Pro 600w (bought it last month brand new)

Aug 29, 2024
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of ALL installed components)?

When you installed the GPU and made the changes noted in your post, was the system disconnected from all power sources?

Did you connect/disconnect anything while the system was powered on?
as for the changes, I didn't really disconnect the power cable from the PSU but it was switched off and all i did is change a SATA data cable from one drive to the other, didn't touch another thing