[SOLVED] My network is limiting my download speed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 3, 2020
Hello, new here and been researching a problem I have encountered. My computer which is fairly old but not completely outdated is having problems downloading things at my internets full potential.
My Google speed test revealed a "Good" connection with 28 MBit/s download and 9 MBit/s upload with a 42 ping. I know the difference between Megabits and Megabytes and I know I should be downloading games at between 2.5-3.5 Megabytes/s but im getting around 600-700 KB/s instead with the only thing on the network running being the download. I've checked the system's network drivers and they're all up-to-date and good but I did find a suspicious number..
In Task Manager/Performance/Ethernet
this is my sending and receiving and its capping at 6.0 MBps
Idk if this has anything to do with it or not but it just was weird. I've already went to Admin CMD and changed Windows Auto-tuning to disabled and am running out of options, please any advice or tips would help! Thanks

Solution
Tower? More information needed there....

What is that device? Any make and model information on it?

Normally the connections are:

ISP ----cable----> modem -----ethernet cable ----->[WAN] Router [LAN ports]-----> ethernet cables to wired devices and ~~~~ wireless ~~~~> wireless devices.
Yaaaaaa I found the fix to my problem! You're not going to believe it lol... On my routers settings the IP was done automatically and not statically. That was the problem, the automatic IP messed up the last two numbers of the address and I had to switch to static and BOOM my internet is fixed. Such a rookie mistake on my part, just thought I would know if the IP was wrong because I wouldn't get internet. Didn't know that if it was different...
Jul 3, 2020
Just to test try a VPN company. I would just buy 1 month but many you can cancel and get your money back if you do it in the first couple days.

This will prevent the ISP from seeing anything you are doing so how could they limit it. Your connection is small enough that you don't have to worry about the vpn company slowing you down. Most can go well over 300-400mbps.

What is strange is a vpn also fixes this type of issue for some people. Whatever software is limiting it is also being prevented from seeing the traffic.
I thought Id ping you too since you've tried to help from the beginning. " Yaaaa I found the fix to my problem! You're not going to believe it lol... On my routers settings the IP was done automatically and not statically. That was the problem, the automatic IP messed up the last two numbers of the address and I had to switch to static and BOOM my internet is fixed. Such a rookie mistake on my part, just thought I would know if the IP was wrong because I wouldn't get internet. Didn't know that if it was different you'd still get a connection. Thank you to everyone that helped me on this journey, I really do appreciate it. "