Question My new CPU wont overvolt

Galaga_Mods-YT

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
Hi everyone, so I had just bought a CPU upgrade for my machine and it appears when I slightly overvolt for an overclock, only one core gets the voltage bump and none of the others do. Upgraded from a Ryzen 5 1600x to a Ryzen 5 3600x. My Motherboard is a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5. If anyone could help guide me into the right ways of this, please, post on this thread. I don't want to run stock clock with my $100 Cooler.
FYI. the 1st core runs at 1.4 and everything else at 1.1 . Dynamic VCORE in BioS is grayed out.

Hi everyone, so I had just bought a CPU upgrade for my machine and it appears when I slightly overvolt for an overclock, only one core gets the voltage bump and none of the others do. Upgraded from a Ryzen 5 1600x to a Ryzen 5 3600x. My Motherboard is a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5. If anyone could help guide me into the right ways of this, please, post on this thread. I don't want to run stock clock with my $100 Cooler.
FYI. the 1st core runs at 1.4 and everything else at 1.1 . Dynamic VCORE in BioS is grayed out.

Did you update your board to the latest BIOS?

BTW...AMD only uses one VCore that supplies the CPU for all cores. Some people have speculated Zen2 may have enabled DLDO's that would allow cores to individually control voltage but I've never read anything definitive on that. So however you're determining that one core is getting a different voltage, I'd be curious to know.

Galaga_Mods-YT

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
Did you update your board to the latest BIOS?

BTW...AMD only uses one VCore that supplies the CPU for all cores. Some people have speculated Zen2 may have enabled DLDO's that would allow cores to individually control voltage but I've never read anything definitive on that. So however you're determining that one core is getting a different voltage, I'd be curious to know.

Im using HWMonitor.
My bios is running at the newest F50a update as well. Im going to see if I got a bunk flash and im going to reupdate my bios.

Well the thing is I stress test the system using Prime95 and it insta crashes. Sometimes I cannot even get into windows.
Do a CMOS reset (power off, pull battery, short pins, wait a couple min's, put back together) to put BIOS in clean, default settings. Especially important for memory, then see if it is stable and can run a Prime95 stress test.

In addition to CPU, motherboard...what is your memory, GPU, PSU and cooling.

Galaga_Mods-YT

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
Do a CMOS reset (power off, pull battery, short pins, wait a couple min's, put back together) to put BIOS in clean, default settings. Especially important for memory, then see if it is stable and can run a Prime95 stress test.

G.Skill DDR4 3200 MHz. 14-14-14-34 (if i recal correctly)
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
Corsair CX650M
Noctua DH15
I will try what you have recommended, but the voltage setting for all cores is grayed out.

Galaga_Mods-YT

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
x370 board doesnt fully support 2nd/3rd gen
u may need switch to b450 or better

Also when I manual overclock it, only one core goes to the voltage that I want, everything else stays 1.1V
Basically it won't allow me to over volt the CPU properly

G.Skill DDR4 3200 MHz. 14-14-14-34 (if i recal correctly)
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
Corsair CX650M
Noctua DH15
I will try what you have recommended, but the voltage setting for all cores is grayed out.
That's pretty good memory for Ryzen...Samsung B Die IIRC. You SHOULD be able to get a solid 3200 with your CPU, but for now just leave it at defaults. And, of course, make sure it's inserted in the right DIMM sockets.

There is no facility for adjusting individual core voltages with Ryzen...wasn't with Zen1, isn't with Zen2. So where are you even seeing this that is grayed out? In BIOS? You'll not need to change anything with core voltages for now, you'll just leave all BIOS settings at 100% default at first just to see if your system can be stable.

Galaga_Mods-YT

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
That's pretty good memory for Ryzen...Samsung B Die IIRC. You SHOULD be able to get a solid 3200 with your CPU, but for now just leave it at defaults. And, of course, make sure it's inserted in the right DIMM sockets.

There is no facility for adjusting individual core voltages with Ryzen...wasn't with Zen1, isn't with Zen2. So where are you even seeing this that is grayed out? In BIOS? You'll not need to change anything with core voltages for now, you'll just leave all BIOS settings at 100% default at first just to see if your system can be stable.

its stable with stock clock, but I cannot even hit turbo without instability.