My new Dell 3647 Desktop with 4Gen i3-1460 processor, only has 4GB DDR3

SteveAC01

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
DUAL CHANNEL Question --- I just bought a Dell 3647 Desktop with 4Gen i3-1460 processor.
It only has 4 GB DDR3 1600MHz memory. I want to go to 8GB.
Will a second 4GB stick activate Dual Channel? If not, what do I need to do?
Will this computer even become Dual Channel?
--BTW-- I'm running Win8.1 64 BIT, so addressing is not a limiting factor.
What else am I overlooking?
Perhaps I'm overcomplicating a simple Plug and Play upgrade.,,,?
Thanks,
Steve in NJ

"Will a second 4GB stick activate Dual Channel?"

Is it possible that the 4 GB in the machine now is 2 x 2 GB? That would make a lot more sense! You could download something like CPU-Z to check.
Although if it's the product on this page, their configuration STINKS. http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3647-small-desktop/pd?oc=fdcwnp313s&model_id=inspiron-3647-small-desktop
4 GB X1 with an option to go dual channel with adding 2 GB x1.

If I were in your shoes I would check the manual and see if it supports 4 GB x2. There may have been a reason that the other memory configuration available is the absolutely silly 4GB + 2 GB. If not, depending on how much you want to spend
1) Call Dell and tell them that you want to RMA the crippled machine they sold you
2) Buy a second stick of 4 GB memory
3) Buy a matched pair or 4 GB memory sticks and sneer at the one that came with the machine.

This is just weird in this day and age, selling a single-channel setup and offering one other configuration with imbalanced channels. I would think that there must be some technical reason for this.

SteveAC01

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015

PCI Express Configurations-- up to 1x16, 2x8, 1x8, 2x4.
And it comes standard at 1x4GB.
I can buy another 4GB for about $40. But I'm also considering buying a 2X8 Kit for about $100. That is overkill, but would probably eliminate all "swapping" for the moderate kind of work I do.

SteveAC01

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
I just finally got some good help by calling Dell Tech Support.
After three transfers, I spoke at length with a guy who really seemed to know the product well.
It turns out that the Dell website write-up on memory on the Inspiron 3647 Desktop with i3 processor is wrong.
It indicates that the max memory is 6GB (1x4 and 1x2).
The tech reports that the i3 has two slots, which I knew.
The max memory is 8GB (2x4GB).
I asked him if I could install 2x8. He said it would probably work, but might introduce problems/issues, and he recommended against it.
I then asked if installing the second 4GB stick would require any other actions.
He say, "no" just plug and play and it will operate in Dual Channel.
Any additional comments/opinions are appreciated.
Thanks to all.