Question My New evo 970 plus nvme m2 is not working

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 3, 2020
When i try to boot up the pc it says reboot and select proper boot device. When u go into bios and try to change priorities I can’t see the new sad. I should be working fine since I had a usb enclosure for it so I could use caspers to back up my last ssd onto the new since I only have 1 ssd nvme slot in my pc. Ask me anything about my specs and I will try to answer it

Jun 3, 2020
Ok. Then maybe that is specifics of this BIOS.

Did you change sata mode to AHCI?
I checked and befor it was ons rst with optane but now i changed it to achi. Nothing new happended atleast to my knowlegde. Was it supposed to do something that im just not aware of? but i noticed that the new windows i download is stored on the ssd everytime i install it so i just don't know why it doesn't boot it up.

You should write full specs of your pc in the first post.
Include model name of SSD you're replacing.
Is the M.2 slot on motherboard or do you have it on PCIE M.2 adapter card?

I'm thinking .. it might be some issue with booting from nvme device. May be your system supports booting from sata devices only.

Assuming you have an external hard drive, it may be easier to make an image of SSD, create a rescue cd/USB - swap the new SSD into your NVMe slot, reboot using the rescue media and restore to the new SSD from the image on the external.

Acronis or Macrium are both capable of doing this.

So it started out with me buying a new ssd because i needed more space in my pc but the thing is i have a really bad computer that one holds 1 nvme m.2 ssd spot so i had to replace it. I started by buying an usb enclosure to go with it and my plan was to clone my old ssd to the new i just bought. I really couldn't find any cloning program that worked because of the formatting but i ended up finding a forum about cloning and someone recommended to use caspers backup as cloning, and so i did. the new ssd was detected and everything was working fine while it was in the usb enclosure but when i took it out to replace with my old it just said "insert boot media in selected boot device" and when i clicked it just wrote it again underneath. Then i read some more forums about it and i figured that it properly was because it had loaded it wrong in the bios setting. so i checked to see if i could change the loading priority but when i checked i couldn't select the ssd as an option. i thought that it was weird since when i go to advanced setting and intergrated i could see the ssd and it seemed to be working fine. Then i tried downloading windows onto a usb media drive and it worked fine with installing but when it was done it went right back into the installation menu. then i tried taking the usb drive out when it said it had to restart but when i did that it just told me "insert boot media in selected boot device" again and that's where im stuck at rn.

Im using an acer motherboard and the ssd is made by samsung and called samsung ssd 970 plus.

Any kind of comment will be helpfull as i've been stuck at this for an week and have looked at atleast 50 post about it without finding an answer.

Jun 3, 2020
You should write full specs of your pc in the first post.
Include model name of SSD you're replacing.
Is the M.2 slot on motherboard or do you have it on PCIE M.2 adapter card?

I'm thinking .. it might be some issue with booting from nvme device. May be your system supports booting from sata devices only.
I dont think that's the thing since my old one also was a nvme m.2

Jun 3, 2020
Assuming you have an external hard drive, it may be easier to make an image of SSD, create a rescue cd/USB - swap the new SSD into your NVMe slot, reboot using the rescue media and restore to the new SSD from the image on the external.

Acronis or Macrium are both capable of doing this.
I have tried doing that but it wont boot with the rescue media